Can an american citizen go to a UK med school and then work in UK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cautiousvampire

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It seems that Irish school are not a good/plausible option for Americans wanting to practice in the UK (i.e students are last picks for residencys) Is it any different in England and/or Scotland. I would especially love to go to med school in Scotland, and then practice there, but want to make sure its feasible. I am a US udergrad with stats competitive for US schools.

Unrelated question... Is the medical environment in the UK as life encompassing and stressful as that in the US? Is call as frequent? Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

It seems that Irish school are not a good/plausible option for Americans wanting to practice in the UK (i.e students are last picks for residencys) Is it any different in England and/or Scotland. I would especially love to go to med school in Scotland, and then practice there, but want to make sure its feasible. I am a US udergrad with stats competitive for US schools.

Unrelated question... Is the medical environment in the UK as life encompassing and stressful as that in the US? Is call as frequent? Thanks again!

At the moment, yes, a UK grad from anywhere can get training, at least for the first couple of years. You would find it much more difficult after this. A US citizen that was a US grad would essentially find it impossible to get any training job in the UK. Not so long ago these rules were slightly different in that even if you went to school in the UK, if you weren't an EU citizen you couldn't get a job. I wouldn't be surprised if we went back to that at some point.

In my experience things are very different in the 2 countries, even in terms of what personalities go for what specialties. The expectations are different but probably equal in terms of difficulty. Hours will vary depending on specialty. Technically only a certain number of hours are legal but this is never stuck to and because it's the NHS and there are massive staff shortages even though we probably do less hours overall the hours are much busier. This is my experience though, I have obviously seen a lot of specialties in the UK at a lot of hospitals but have only spent time in one specialty (a surgical sub-specialty) in one hospital in the US. It was a major centre for the specialty I was in though. The juniors were far less busy than ours in the same specialty but it really varied with the attendings. In terms of call, once you reach a certain level in the UK, 3rd specialty year which is the 5th post grad year you are on call from home. From what I saw in the US you can only be on call from home once you are an attending, US training is a lot shorter though so the time to get to being an attending isn't that long.

yep all you need is a passport and a visa to work in a different country I am actually planning to go to China for med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
At the moment, yes, a UK grad from anywhere can get training, at least for the first couple of years. You would find it much more difficult after this.
Does difficult mean impossible? Do you know any Americans that have successfully done it? Thanks.

A US citizen that was a US grad would essentially find it impossible to get any training job in the UK. Not so long ago these rules were slightly different in that even if you went to school in the UK, if you weren't an EU citizen you couldn't get a job. I wouldn't be surprised if we went back to that at some point.

I am a little confused here. Are you saying that they might reinstate rules that would not allow me to train, even though I would currently be allowed?

In my experience things are very different in the 2 countries, even in terms of what personalities go for what specialties. The expectations are different but probably equal in terms of difficulty. Hours will vary depending on specialty. Technically only a certain number of hours are legal but this is never stuck to and because it's the NHS and there are massive staff shortages even though we probably do less hours overall the hours are much busier. This is my experience though, I have obviously seen a lot of specialties in the UK at a lot of hospitals but have only spent time in one specialty (a surgical sub-specialty) in one hospital in the US. It was a major centre for the specialty I was in though. The juniors were far less busy than ours in the same specialty but it really varied with the attendings. In terms of call, once you reach a certain level in the UK, 3rd specialty year which is the 5th post grad year you are on call from home. From what I saw in the US you can only be on call from home once you are an attending, US training is a lot shorter though so the time to get to being an attending isn't that long.

Last edited:

I'm not 100% sure of the rules beyond the first 2 postgrad years as it isn't something that affects me. Honestly though I wouldn't bank on being able to get a job. No one can bank on getting a job in the UK as it is because the competition is so fierce but the fact that there ever existed a rule that would have prevented you from working would be a huge worry for me if I was in your position. This year was also the first year that UK grads haven't been able to get foundation jobs (straight after med school) because of the number of EU applicants. There has been a lot of trouble because of this so I wouldn't be surprised if some rules were changed to protect our own graduates.

It's becoming increasingly difficult for non-EU graduates to come and work in the UK - this is for two reasons.

1. The new government is keen to reduce immigration - the only way it can do this is by cutting the numbers of non-EU migrants

2. The British foundation programme has become oversubscribed because of foreign applicants, we can't do anything about EU applicants, but we can stop non-EU applicants. As a result it is harder for non-EU grads to apply because it is seemingly the only way to reduce the number of applicants to the foundation year programme.

yep all you need is a passport and a visa to work in a different country I am actually planning to go to China for med school.

That is absolutely not true! I can't just pitch up in the USA for example with my British degree and practice medicine, I bloody wish I could! It's the same in the UK (although not as strict).