Can an American clinical psychologist practice in Australia?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kkss2225

Reaction score
If I obtain my Psy.D in clinical psychology in the United States, could I potentially move to Australia and practice there? What would it take to do so.

Or could I go to school in Australia, and decide after if I wanted to stay there or come home. If I finished my program and wanted to return to the US, would I be able to practice here? What schools in Australia are APA accredited?

Members don't see this ad.

What schools in Australia are APA accredited?

None. The APA only accredits US schools. They have an agreement with the CPA (Canadian version), but that's about it. You'd have to look into the requirements for proving equivalency if you want to train/practice in a different (non-Canadian) country than the one you completed training in. May be possible, but likely a very laborious process even if possible.

Reactions: 1 user
I know someone who trained in the USA and was licensed in the USA first, and then moved to Australia. It was a number of years ago, and it took a lot of hoop jumping.

They were an academic (with a clinical practice) and they completed a fellowship, which likely helped. You’d need to contact the applicable licensing board in Australia and see what they would require. I remember they had to turn in a copy of every syllabus from every class; the overall process took the better part of a year. I don’t recall if they had a job at the start of the process, but they had one by the end. I’m guessing it is possible, but not easy.

I’m all but certain you can’t go the other way and train in Australia and move back here. Countries have different requirements for practice and licensure.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your best best is to find someone that trained in the US and practices in Australia. Contact them and ask questions.

Or could I go to school in Australia, and decide after if I wanted to stay there or come home. If I finished my program and wanted to return to the US, would I be able to practice here? What schools in Australia are APA accredited?
Do you know in which state you would like to eventually practice? Try contacting that state's board and asking what you would need to establish equivalency (assuming that you can) if you had an Australian degree.

I thought there was active recruiting of American psychologists in Australia and New Zealand. I’ve heard there an entire industry built around it.