can an experience you only did for ~10 hours be "significant"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eagleye2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm an upcoming junior and am starting to think of some experiences that I find most significant to put down on the experiences (or equivalent) section of the application. There is one experience at my school that I have done twice that sums up to 10 hours that I think is pretty significant to me in terms of how the school system runs. I was chosen to be on the board an academic integrity hearing (cheating, plagiarizing, etc.) with the dean, the chair of 2 majors, and some other faculty and it really taught me a lot about the way these processes work etc. I listened to each side's story and had a vote in the final decision. However, I have only done this experience twice but the dean has said that she will contact me when there are more hearings. I wish it was more consistent times but of course it will be intermittent. Moral of the story, if there are no more of these opportunities and I end up with only 10 hours of this experience, is it even worth putting on the application since its only 10 hours, or is it still worth mentioning? Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

You haven't really said why that is "most meaningful".

I listed a 9 hour experience as a significant one.

Members don't see this ad :)
You haven't really said why that is "most meaningful".
i didn’t list the reasons it was meaningful/significant I was just wondering if it would be pointless putting a 10 hour experience as something that was meaningful

I put an activity that totaled about 10 hours and it came up in a few interviews. If it is important to you and you think it adds depth to your app, go for it. I feel like worst case scenario is that they don't care and overlook it, I doubt it would hurt.

Of course an experience less than 10 hours can be significant. One of the most transformative experiences of my life was a particular engagement in Afghanistan that lasted for about 8. Alternatively, consider a sexual assault survivor whose experience set him/her on the path to become an advocate for others and pursue medicine. Or any other experience that is small in hours and enormous in life impact.