Quantcast

Can an IM resident from an ACGME accredited program outside of the US do clinical electives in US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
W

webgenius

Members don't see this ad.
Can an IM resident from an ACGME accredited program outside of the US do clinical electives in the US?

Especially that I'm ECFMG certified with good scores.

I'm mainly interested in Hem/onc.
I won't mind research electives also even if it for one month.

bashwell

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can an IM resident from an ACGME accredited program outside of the US do clinical electives in the US?

Especially that I'm ECFMG certified with good scores.

I'm mainly interested in Hem/onc.
I won't mind research electives also even if it for one month.
If you're already ECFMG certified, then doesn't that mean you've graduated from med school? If so, then you may not be eligible for electives or away rotations anymore. However, I think you would still be eligible for observerships.

Also, if your goal is to end up in an IM residency in the US, then even if you're ACGME accredited from a program outside of the US, you might have to start all over again as a first year IM resident. At least that's my understanding but I don't exactly know what ACGME accredited entails so maybe others can better address this. If a US IM residency is your goal though I imagine another important factor which would come into play is whether or not you have US citizenship.

Last edited:
W

webgenius

If you're already ECFMG certified, then doesn't that mean you've graduated from med school? If so, then you may not be eligible for electives or away rotations anymore. However, I think you would still be eligible for observerships.

Also, if your goal is to end up in an IM residency in the US, then even if you're ACGME accredited from a program outside of the US, you might have to start all over again as a first year IM resident. At least that's my understanding but I don't exactly know what ACGME accredited entails so maybe others can better address this. If a US IM residency is your goal though I imagine another important factor which would come into play is whether or not you have US citizenship.

I know that I will repeat the residency.
ACGME entails that my training is exactly similar to the US programs.
I'm asking if I can do electives as a resident not as a student!
Don't US residents do electives in other hospitals in the US? Can a resident from outside the US but from an ACGME accredited program do the same?

rokshana

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
it will depend on the program...if they take outside residents, then you should be able to a rotation.
and yes, residents in the US can do away rotations.