1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Can an international student with a F-1 visa apply for private student loans?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by sln, Aug 5, 2011.

1. sln

sln

Pre-Medical
    I am an international student.I have some concerns about affording my education in med school.since med schools are so expensive it is obvious that everyone pays the school expenses with loans or maybe some other way.Anway,my question is that since i am on F-1 visa i do not have a Social Security Number and as i was searching for some private loans i saw that a lot of the banks ask for Social Security Number.Unfortunately i do not have one.In this case i am very concerned because i do want to study in a med school.Plus i do not have any concerns about getting a co-signer with a good credit history,that is not a problem for me.The main problem is the SSN part and i have no idea what i am going to do if can't get a private loan?

Has anybody out there been through something like this before?If so,please give me some advice on this situation.I am stuck for sure!

Thank you!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. rhysticlight

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I have done a bit of research on this topic and it seems that there are private loans available to international students, however you generally require a US citizen with a good credit history to act as a co-signer. I would contact some of the banks you are interested in though to ask about their policies.

4. Chemdude

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You definitely need a SSN to get a loan.

5. sln

sln

Pre-Medical

Thank you for the research and the response,apparently i gotta have to speak with the banks or search more.....:confused:

6. sln

sln

Pre-Medical
    But how my friend that is the question:confused:?

7. FattySlug

7+ Year Member

Get a job on campus. The school will write you a letter which you can use to apply for a SSN. Go talk to people at your international office they will know what to do. Your school must have done a lousy job at the orientation for F1 students that you don't know about this.

8. sln

sln

Pre-Medical
    Haha:laugh:(laughing about the orientation) ..
    So it means that if i get an on campus job i will have a SSN and i can qualify for applying to private loans with my SSN and it wouldn't be a problem??

THANK YOU SO MUCH :):)

9. Chemdude

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah, that's true. You can quit the job right after you apply for you SSN if you want. All you need is a letter from your school showing that you are employed.

10. sln

sln

Pre-Medical
    Thank you, i had no idea, that is a relief to hear it from you guys!! :)