Can an outpatient primary care IM doc transition to hospitalist after a few years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ace_inhibitor111

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would it be possible to work in outpatient primary care straight out of residency and then become a hospitalist later? I imagine there might be some skill erosion, but how difficult would it be to find a job as a hospitalist after being out of residency for a while? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Would it be possible to work in outpatient primary care straight out of residency and then become a hospitalist later? I imagine there might be some skill erosion, but how difficult would it be to find a job as a hospitalist after being out of residency for a while? Thanks!
Not very.

You may need to have some sort of mentoring plan in place by the head of the hospitalist group for some number of cases (in a recent plan I put together for someone in this situation, it was 50), but that's not that big of a problem most of the time.

Reactions: 2 users
Not very.

You may need to have some sort of mentoring plan in place by the head of the hospitalist group for some number of cases (in a recent plan I put together for someone in this situation, it was 50), but that's not that big of a problem most of the time.
Wouldn't surprise me if there's a hospitalist refresher course somewhere. Or just a good hospitalist update course, the annual ACP meeting probably would work too.

Members don't see this ad :)

Team health in my area has hired almost 50% midlevels for hospitalist jobs, most of which are right out of their online training. If you have an active license you can get a job it seems as a hospitalist.

You can do various online refresher courses for the transition.

Reactions: 1 users
Many academic centers let outpatient docs do a few weeks of inpatient service per year. I know they do at mine. So theoretically you'd keep using both inpatient and outpatient skill sets.