• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Can an outpatient primary care IM doc transition to hospitalist after a few years?

ace_inhibitor111

7+ Year Member
Mar 10, 2012
Would it be possible to work in outpatient primary care straight out of residency and then become a hospitalist later? I imagine there might be some skill erosion, but how difficult would it be to find a job as a hospitalist after being out of residency for a while? Thanks!

gutonc

No Meat, No Treat
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
  1. Attending Physician
Would it be possible to work in outpatient primary care straight out of residency and then become a hospitalist later? I imagine there might be some skill erosion, but how difficult would it be to find a job as a hospitalist after being out of residency for a while? Thanks!
Not very.

You may need to have some sort of mentoring plan in place by the head of the hospitalist group for some number of cases (in a recent plan I put together for someone in this situation, it was 50), but that's not that big of a problem most of the time.

Reactions: 2 users

VA Hopeful Dr

Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2004
  1. Attending Physician
Not very.

You may need to have some sort of mentoring plan in place by the head of the hospitalist group for some number of cases (in a recent plan I put together for someone in this situation, it was 50), but that's not that big of a problem most of the time.
Wouldn't surprise me if there's a hospitalist refresher course somewhere. Or just a good hospitalist update course, the annual ACP meeting probably would work too.

About the Ads

InvestingDoc

5+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2016
www.investingdoc.com
  1. Attending Physician

Team health in my area has hired almost 50% midlevels for hospitalist jobs, most of which are right out of their online training. If you have an active license you can get a job it seems as a hospitalist.

You can do various online refresher courses for the transition.

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.