Can and should I start over?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kbxc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finally decided that I want to do Pharmacy after 2 1/2 year of college. I am on the 5 year plan for graduation from undergrad. Is it possible for me to just transfer to a school with guaranteed admission if your in pre-pharmacy and then do those 6 years at that school (2 year pre-pharm, 4 years pharm)?? I would be willing to basically throw out the first 3 years of my college credits in order to do this since my g.p.a. isn't very competitive (3.2) and I would end up doing 6 more years no matter what.

Members don't see this ad.

No, those guaranteed admissions are reserved for people straight from high school (or no college experience). At least that's what I'm 99% certain of.

There's going to be no short cut to your goals IF YOU REALLY WANT IT. Just start taking the pre-requisites, study HARD, and do your best. Your 3.2 GPA isn't bad at all. By getting A's and some B's for all the pre-req's (~60-90 units), that can easily go up to a competitive gpa.

Good luck.

My GPA is around that range and I got into pharmacy school. My advice is to finish your bachelors to make yourself more competitive. You should also look into expanding your extracurriculars. Get some pharmacy experience. Join a club. Do research. The possibilities are endless! Schools are looking for well-rounded applicants. GPA is not everything.

Members don't see this ad :)
What schools is this possible for? I'm new to this pharmacy idea and of the few colleges I have read about, they only let you do that if you come into the college straight from high school. However, I like the idea if it is possible because then you are guaranteed a spot. I, like you, worry about getting in and don't want to have to try for years (although I will do it if I have to), so I would go to school a couple more years if it meant a spot.

What schools is this possible for? I'm new to this pharmacy idea and of the few colleges I have read about, they only let you do that if you come into the college straight from high school. However, I like the idea if it is possible because then you are guaranteed a spot. I, like you, worry about getting in and don't want to have to try for years (although I will do it if I have to), so I would go to school a couple more years if it meant a spot.

just want you to understand that although that you get into a 6 yr program u have to maintain a GPA of a minimum of 2.5 to 3.0 depending on the school of choice and then u are given the spot for pharm program without question. its a good route if you are really sure of pharm school, i knew a girl who did that for UOP and decided to not pursue pharm after the first 2 or 3 years of study. UOP, MCPHS, some schools in NY, are a few that i know of..

Does anyone else feel like you are being punished for going to college with this system? I could have instead took 2 years off after high-school, worked saved up money and then went into pre-pharm when I was sure of what I wanted to do. Isn't there anyway to just erase your transcripts and start off fresh? Btw my science g.p.a is only a 2.9. My overall is a 3.2.

Does anyone else feel like you are being punished for going to college with this system? I could have instead took 2 years off after high-school, worked saved up money and then went into pre-pharm when I was sure of what I wanted to do. Isn't there anyway to just erase your transcripts and start off fresh? Btw my science g.p.a is only a 2.9. My overall is a 3.2.

With an honest conscience... no - your transcripts reflect your history in education - both good and bad. It’s not fair to someone who goes to school and does well to be on par with someone who went to school, did bad - but then did better later on. There are ways to "erase" certain things off of your transcript - and there are other ways to make certain transcripts disappear - but doing so is not ethical, and I wont discuss such things here...

Don’t focus on what is done and gone. Focus on the classes you have left and what the future can hold if you work hard. Find your motivation, and use it to propel you through the next couple of years. Good :luck: to you, and feel free to use this forum's resources if you are ever in need.

~above~