Can answer Q's on Temple Dental - D4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bing12

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a D4 at temple, Im sure some of you may have questions regarding temple as the time for acceptances is getting closer. The first 2 years are changing ( in terms of D1,D2) so I will know the general idea, not so much specifics about that.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a D4 at temple, Im sure some of you may have questions regarding temple as the time for acceptances is getting closer. The first 2 years are changing ( in terms of D1,D2) so I will know the general idea, not so much specifics about that.
Hi bing12, I did not apply to Temple but replying to let you know that I really appreciate the link in your signature. It has a lot of great stats about dental schools! Thank you for sharing the link with us and taking your time out to answer questions!

What are some things you Like/Hate about your school?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for opening this up! I just had my interview with Temple this Monday. Temples clinical facilities are huge which is great, but what are some other things you really enjoyed about being at Temple? Do you feel like you had enough clinical exposure? Do you feel that their curriculum/professors prepared you well?? With a class of 140 did you ever have any difficulty getting assistance academically if you needed it?

Hi bing12, I did not apply to Temple but replying to let you know that I really appreciate the link in your signature. It has a lot of great stats about dental schools! Thank you for sharing the link with us and taking your time out to answer questions!

no problem at all. thank you

What are some things you Like/Hate about your school?

Likes: clinical education, which is apparent when i meet other students from different schools. preclinic is brand new and great, clinics are all renovated, faculty are phenomenal.

a big plus is that the school wants you to stay, there are others that if you fail a class, you are either kicked out or have to repeat a year, etc. they will try very hard here to make sure you succeed. thats extremely valuable.

- few things i realized after starting: temple eases you into the course work, first semester is not bad at all, 2nd year is the toughest. ive realied that not hitting the ground running was a big benefit, you were able to assimilate better to the environment. we take our boards part 1 after 2 years, so we werent slammed with coursework our first year(some schools take boards after their first year). and let me tell you, dont let schools try to throw pass rate stats at you, passing both part 1 and 2 are very easy.
- our lectures are recorded, so you can go online and replay them at any speed you would like. thats a huge benefit.(many schools offer this).
. there are many other likes that im sure will come to me as ppl ask questions.

DISLIKES: the schools location isnt in hollywood, but thats a big part of the reason why our clinical education is great.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for opening this up! I just had my interview with Temple this Monday. Temples clinical facilities are huge which is great, but what are some other things you really enjoyed about being at Temple? Do you feel like you had enough clinical exposure? Do you feel that their curriculum/professors prepared you well?? With a class of 140 did you ever have any difficulty getting assistance academically if you needed it?

great, glad you enjoyed it. i just replied above to what i enjoy about temple. yes i feel that the clinical exposure is great, i have experienced some really interesting cases. (implant restorations, oral surgery experience, bridges, pediatric dentistry,etc). the class may be large, but to be honest i never really notice the size.getting assistance is very easy.

^^^ I agree with the above, what are the changes happening in tD1 and D2?

Can I ask what are the changes happening to D1 and D2?
changes for the better. the system is similar to the medical school model. its systems based, so if you are learning about the urinary system, they will teach you the , patho, physio,etc on that,rather than have separate classes such as Pathology, physio,etc from what I understand.

Reactions: 1 user
if anyone wants to PM me about their situation, please feel free to do so with any questions.

One of the new changes happening at temple dental is a research requirement. Its being implemented with the class of 2018. We werent told this when we were accepted so a lot of us were against the idea when we were presented with it recently. If we wanted research we'd've gone to UPENN or elsewhere. Nevertheless the dean is pushing for it and it is a requirement to be completed before graduating. It's done in groups of 4. Another change coming for the current D1 class is harder classes. I think it was physiology, I can't recall, but they said the biochem section was low on part 1 of the boards in recent years. so they were going to make the class more intensive to pick up the slack.