Can any one plz tell me how important of a factor is the PCAT essay?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Leb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This was my first time of taking the PCAT (January 2007), and i had such a wonderful composite score (98%), that iam sure will get me any where i want. However, i miss understood the essay topic, which resulted in a grade of 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Iam worried if that could be a reason for rejecting my application, or something that will force me to retake the whole test, which i really dont want to do, because it cant get any better than that for my composite score. So can some one plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz tell me something about this?
Is it possible to be rejected because of a low essay score? How big of a factor is this?

Members don't see this ad.

I also got a 2 in the writing section (with a 90 composite) and I was accepted to UNC Chapel Hill...

I wouldn't worry about it too much. I doubt they even look at that score.

On the saem note, how impaortant are the indiviudal scores on the PCAT compared to the composite. I have a 76 compositie but a 43 on verbal. I know North Carolina looks at the indivuiudal break down. How about other schools?

This was my first time of taking the PCAT (January 2007), and i had such a wonderful composite score (98%), that iam sure will get me any where i want. However, i miss understood the essay topic, which resulted in a grade of 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Iam worried if that could be a reason for rejecting my application, or something that will force me to retake the whole test, which i really dont want to do, because it cant get any better than that for my composite score. So can some one plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz tell me something about this?
Is it possible to be rejected because of a low essay score? How big of a factor is this?

You have a 98, take it and run! The majority of other pharmacy applicants, including myself, didn't get anywhere near your score. I don't think it's worth a likely drop on your composite just so that you can boost your writing score by 1 point.:)

Members don't see this ad :)

I got a 99% overall and a 2 on the writing score as well. Most schools have a writing sample that you have to do when you go for the interview. I got interviews at all 3 schools I applied to, and got in to two of them. The 2 on my PCAT writing section wasn't mentioned once. I wouldn't sweat it.

I feel like a 2 is just a small bump in the road; everyone is right, you shouldn't have a problem.

If you're aiming high when you apply and if your pharmacy school requires an essay, blow them away in the essay (+ interview) so that the 2 will only be a distant memory. I think there always a dozen reasons why some people think they have a school locked down and end up blowing it. I say don't do what some people do and remain indifferent and unmotivated to improve on mistakes to stay competitive.

Good luck and congrats on your high marks. :thumbup: