Can anyone confirm this: Walgreens laying off higher salaried pharmacists for cheaper pharmacists willing 2 work for 41.50/hr?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I guess they've finally put a price on "passion"....and it seems pretty low!

Reactions: 2 users
I guess they've finally put a price on "passion"....and it seems pretty low!

Well other people follow their passions for lower so now we get to see who among us was lying on their applications. Probably most of us, but going forward students that still choose this profession must really really like pharmacy, right? ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
What? No...lol.
Oh, I only thought that because you said golden handcuffs. Generally I’ve only heard that term used when an employee has benefits that makes it hard to want to leave current employment to seek other opportunities such as when they have really good stocks or pension.

Absolutely - typical professional handyman rate is approximately 50 bucks an hour. In fact, most services which you contract out will come in around 50/hour. I had a computer technician come out to my house last week and help me with my home network and I was charged 55/hr.

The trick is not charging that much, it is actually being able to bill for 40 hours/week. If the work is not available then you are screwed.

Laying carpet is just one example. I used this example because I know how to do it.
In CA, any small job is like $200-350/repair for a handyman. $65 per visit without any work done just to diagnose the problem. Most of them finish their work less than 2-3 hours. The good one has no shortage of work.

Oh, I only thought that because you said golden handcuffs. Generally I’ve only heard that term used when an employee has benefits that makes it hard to want to leave current employment to seek other opportunities such as when they have really good stocks or pension.

It can also be used to describe a job where you get paid more than market rate and leaving it would be a pay cut.

Which is probably my case.

Reactions: 3 users
If they make us reapply for our positions at $40/hr... not sure what any of us could even do, we're helpless. Quit? Massive student loans. Find a new job? Where? I hope I've saved enough to just quit and live off a 30k a year job with less stress.

Reactions: 1 users
Apply to be a census COVID-19 superspreader

• Haha
If they make us reapply for our positions at $40/hr... not sure what any of us could even do, we're helpless. Quit? Massive student loans. Find a new job? Where? I hope I've saved enough to just quit and live off a 30k a year job with less stress.
You should've been saving as much money as possible the past few years seeing what has been going on. I've told people repeatedly on here to enroll in PAYE/PSLF because there is a good chance you are going to get laid off or have your income slashed. As long as your loans are federal you don't have to worry about them at all. After all if you get laid off your student loan payment is now $0.

If you work in a pharmacy chain for $40/hr you're doing a disservice to yourself and the profession. These companies do not deserve competent pharmacists at that kind of wage. Let the new grads work themselves to death getting nowhere for that kind of money.

Reactions: 8 users
I’d definitely quit on the spot if I got offered that rate. It would screw up my savings plans big time, but I could find any number of jobs with less stress and liability for $60k/year.

Thankfully I don’t really have loans to speak of anymore. Kids are expensive though.

If you work in a pharmacy chain for $40/hr you're doing a disservice to yourself and the profession. These companies do not deserve competent pharmacists at that kind of wage. Let the new grads work themselves to death getting nowhere for that kind of money.

The issue is how do you make ends meet?

What other options would we have? It's either $40/hr or $0/hr with our pharmD.

Reactions: 1 user

Luckily, I'd say most regular posters here have ~10 years of experience and decent savings.
I'd try to work as long and as much as I can, try my best to maintain my health.
40 an hr > 0 an hour everyday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Luckily, I'd say most regular posters here have ~10 years of experience and decent savings.
I'd try to work as long and as much as I can, try my best to maintain my health.
40 an hr > 0 an hour everyday.

That is us! We saw it coming. Too many students. Not enough jobs. It went downhill fast. It is what it is. Cant fight the big corporations so we are calling it a career.

That is us! We saw it coming. Too many students. Not enough jobs. It went downhill fast. It is what it is. Cant fight the big corporations so we are calling it a career.

Please share! Are you retiring? Going into another field?

The issue is how do you make ends meet?
I have enough saved and live in a low COL area so that I can take a 30-40k/year job and not worry about housing or retirement. I like to think I could find something that would meet those low standards within a year or two.

Yeah, there is some comfort in having some savings/ retirement. It's never enough, but at least I could take a much lower paying job and survive. It also helps not having any debt (mortgage, credit card, student loans). There is nothing more satisfying than having no debt.

Reactions: 5 users
You can’t be serious. Millions of people around the world have less education than a PharmD and they don’t worry they won’t have a job. There are plenty of jobs a PharmD with any brains would be more than qualified to do. Many probably have nothing to do with healthcare.

You can’t be serious. Millions of people around the world have less education than a PharmD and they don’t worry they won’t have a job. There are plenty of jobs a PharmD with any brains would be more than qualified to do. Many probably have nothing to do with healthcare.

Millions of people have less education than teachers and PhDs, but unfortunately both of these professions tend to make very little money too

I think in some respects our "many years of education" hurts us if we apply for jobs outside pharmacy. Those doing the hiring can be hesitant to hire and invest in someone who might be thought to likely "jump ship" if a job becomes available in their field. Not everyone knows the sh*tshow pharmacy has become and that those leaving the field will likely leave it forever....

Honestly, I'd be much happier working in a pet store, animal shelter, or for a veterinarian. But I think the act of my applying to those might raise some eyebrows...

I'd also be happy building a bonfire with my license and diploma when I finally do bail out (or using them for toilet paper which would be more appropriate).

Did I mention "phuck pharmacy"? I want someone to make that on a t-shirt. I'd be first in line to buy one.

Last edited:
I think in some respects our "many years of education" hurts us if we apply for jobs outside pharmacy. Those doing the hiring can be hesitant to hire and invest in someone who might be thought to likely "jump ship" if a job becomes available in their field. Not everyone knows the sh*tshow pharmacy has become and that those leaving the field will likely leave it forever....

Honestly, I'd be much happier working in a pet store, animal shelter, or for a veterinarian. But I think the act of my applying to those might raise some eyebrows...

I'd also be happy building a bonfire with my license and diploma when I finally do bail out (or using them for toilet paper which would be more appropriate).

Did I mention "phuck pharmacy"? I want someone to make that on a t-shirt. I'd be first in line to buy one.
So what I am sure people raised eyebrows when a Lawyer from South University was working as a Bartender. You have to have a job to survive, doesn’t matter people think at that point.

Examples? A pharmD is a highly specialized degree and is not versatile at all. Say you have a mortgage, student loans, kids to feed (daycare is expensive) etc. What will these laid off pharmacists do?

If one was to go back to school to get their teaching degree. How many classes would they have to take?

Or is that low paying job beneath pharmacists?

If one was to go back to school to get their teaching degree. How many classes would they have to take?

Or is that low paying job beneath pharmacists?

From what I hear, it requires a master's which is one year full time. Then when you're certified and all that, they stick you in the substitute pool in crappy districts and it takes years to get a permanent position. Sounds a lot like retail pharmacy.

Teachers make a very good salary in many areas, making it very competitive. Poor teacher pay is a myth IMO. Here are the average teacher salaries by town in MA, most of them are in the 70-90k range.

Last edited:
From what I hear, it requires a master's which is one year full time. Then when you're certified and all that, they stick you in the substitute pool in crappy districts and it takes years to get a permanent position. Sounds a lot like retail pharmacy.

Teachers make a very good salary in many areas, making it very competitive. Poor teacher pay is a myth IMO. Here are the average teacher salaries by town in MA, most of them are in the 70-90k range.

And you can cover summer vacations for local retail pharmacies because you only work 9 months of the year.

Pay really wouldn't be that much worse considering you get government benefits and pension, too.

Becoming a chemistry teacher back home in WV or in inner city Philly where there is a need is definately on my list of possibilities.

And you can cover summer vacations for local retail pharmacies because you only work 9 months of the year.

Pay really wouldn't be that much worse considering you get government benefits and pension, too.

Becoming a chemistry teacher back home in WV or in inner city Philly where there is a need is definately on my list of possibilities.
I think I found my retirement job

Substitute teaching and substitute pharmacist

Millions of people have less education than teachers and PhDs, but unfortunately both of these professions tend to make very little money too
True, but if your alternative is working as a pharmacist for $60-80k, these jobs will look a lot better.
Examples? A pharmD is a highly specialized degree and is not versatile at all. Say you have a mortgage, student loans, kids to feed (daycare is expensive) etc. What will these laid off pharmacists do?
A lot of us have an undergraduate degree. I would argue these aren’t even truly necessary for the type of work I suggest. What do other people with just undergraduate degrees do? They apply for jobs that will take them. My friends without specialties work in insurance, realty, random desk jobs, etc. You wouldn’t start at the top, but these jobs mostly require on the job learning. They aren’t hard to begin in. If you’re over-leveraged with loans, then there’s a separate issue. You will have to downsize your life a bit.

$41.50 an hour is way too high of a wage for a retail pharmacist.

• Haha
Solid troll attempt.

Just the thought of doing this **** for $80k a year has me planning a second career.

I'm 100% serious. Look at the residency scam and how many students are jumping at the idea of working for $35-50k a year. What exactly is the difference between a resident on their last day and a residency trained pharmacist on their first day? It's definitely not $60k a year.

It's a mistake to assume that pharmacist salary can only go up. If reimbursements keep declining the only expense you can cut is labor. $20/hr is more than $0/hr you get while being unemployed at home.

I'm 100% serious. Look at the residency scam and how many students are jumping at the idea of working for $35-50k a year. What exactly is the difference between a resident on their last day and a residency trained pharmacist on their first day? It's definitely not $60k a year.

It's a mistake to assume that pharmacist salary can only go up. If reimbursements keep declining the only expense you can cut is labor. $20/hr is more than $0/hr you get while being unemployed at home.
Wow, what a shame. Such a poor ROI for pharmacy residency. I thought it would be 80k at least after residency. Dang, that’s pathetic.

Wow, what a shame. Such a poor ROI for pharmacy residency. I thought it would be 80k at least after residency. Dang, that’s pathetic.

At this point, I don't think pharmacy school graduates are doing residencies because they think it's going to result in an improved ROI on their investment in pharmacy school; rather, I think they're doing them simply because residency completion has become a minimum requirement for entry-level hospital staffing jobs. Another way to look at it is like this - if someone does a residency, then there's at least a chance they'll be able to work as a hospital pharmacist. Conversely, if they don't do one, then there's almost no chance they'll be able to. So really, it's a matter of getting ANY ROI vs. potentially none at all.

At this point, I don't think pharmacy school graduates are doing residencies because they think it's going to result in an improved ROI on their investment in pharmacy school; rather, I think they're doing them simply because residency completion has become a minimum requirement for entry-level hospital staffing jobs. Another way to look at it is like this - if someone does a residency, then there's at least a chance they'll be able to work as a hospital pharmacist. Conversely, if they don't do one, then there's almost no chance they'll be able to. So really, it's a matter of getting ANY ROI vs. potentially none at all.
True, it is such a shame that school marketed residency as something that would lead to a good ROI. They kept preaching that in schools, when it is lie.

Per this logic, the difference between a engineer in their last day of undergrad and graduation day is not $80k+, and the difference between a harvard law student in their last day of class and graduation day is not $300k or whatever the top law firms pay.

It's about having the credential, not what you know or don't know at any point in time - I've worked at several institutions since college that give you automatic pay raises once you achieve certain credentials, such as completing an advanced degree or obtaining a certification - and it's done this way because HR likes to cross their t's and dot their i's.

You lazy bums can all reject the 40 an hour. I will gladly take those hours. Walgreens for life son.

• Wow
  • Dislike
Mannnnn. I wanna take a race joke but I can’t lol. It’s like we are undocumented immigrants

Some people just work harder than others and do not care about pay

Being pay less means we are worth less as a person. Not caring about money only happens in hippy Europe. We are not Europeans. Undocument are trying to survive. Pharmacist are trying to maintain their lifestyle but ya. Either way it’s happening. I don’t intend to waste my time because it’s more valuable than 40 dollar a hours.

Higher education has been cutting tenured professors and stocking up on administrative bloat for decades. Not sure when you graduated, but half of classes are taught by "lecturers" now that work part-time after working at the hospital or wherever. Won't be difficult to lay huge numbers of faculty off in the slightest.
So true. I can see the Ph.D. Professors In pharmacology quit teaching and focusing on researching or just retire all together.

Q3 earnings out and it’s bad news all around
Stock down to $39
I miss the days when it was near $100

• Wow
Being pay less means we are worth less as a person. Not caring about money only happens in hippy Europe. We are not Europeans. Undocument are trying to survive. Pharmacist are trying to maintain their lifestyle but ya. Either way it’s happening. I don’t intend to waste my time because it’s more valuable than 40 dollar a hours.

no way less pay means worth less as a person. Or maybe I've been on this RX gravy train too long.

no way less pay means worth less as a person.

In a capitalist society it does. How else do you measure someone’s worth if not by their salary?

It’s fine to say that someone’s value is immeasurable but functionally that is the same as saying it is worthless.

no way less pay means worth less as a person. Or maybe I've been on this RX gravy train too long.
sorry too much economies class for me. My time is worth x amount. If you are worth 58 hour and I wasted your time. I owe you 58 usd that hour. You could be doing something else. Thats opp cost in economics

Well, you might have a job at $40 an hour but is your wife going to keep that door closed Mr. Bonita. Don't recall an update on that front

Per this logic, the difference between a engineer in their last day of undergrad and graduation day is not $80k+, and the difference between a harvard law student in their last day of class and graduation day is not $300k or whatever the top law firms pay.

It's about having the credential, not what you know or don't know at any point in time - I've worked at several institutions since college that give you automatic pay raises once you achieve certain credentials, such as completing an advanced degree or obtaining a certification - and it's done this way because HR likes to cross their t's and dot their i's.

Apples and oranges. There's no comparison between a student/engineer and a pharmacist/pharmacist.

Apples and oranges. There's no comparison between a student/engineer and a pharmacist/pharmacist.
Wrong. It's a student/engineer vs a pharmacist/residency trained pharmacist.

Here's another example: what's the difference between a dude right before he walks up the aisle and down the aisle (after signing his marriage certificate) at his wedding? Literally nothing from a skills, knowledge, wisdom etc. standpoint. But immediately after you sign on the dotted line you have instant access to a whole slew of things: better tax benefits, better health insurance, a legal spouse, etc. Instantaneous outcomes that don't require a gradual buildup.

Higher education has been cutting tenured professors and stocking up on administrative bloat for decades. Not sure when you graduated, but half of classes are taught by "lecturers" now that work part-time after working at the hospital or wherever. Won't be difficult to lay huge numbers of faculty off in the slightest.
This was even going on eons ago when I was in school. I was a student at USP. We were directly adjacent to U of Pennsylvania campus. We had an unlimited supply of U of P grad/med students who were probably made to do some teaching and we had some kind of agreement with them. They taught specialty blocks in out Pathophys and PnT blocks. Most couldn't teach their way out of a wet paper bag despite being "experts" in the subject matter. Some could barely speak English. Made for some really interesting exam results. But I'm sure it saved the school a crapton of $$$ rather than use their own faculty.

And in the end you learned the material in spite of them. You really had no choice because that's all the school was giving you and you knew future classes would be building on that material.