Can anyone describe how Zoloft works in the body?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BasicallySteve

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How exactly does it work? What studies were done to show its effectiveness and also what are some of the possible distortions on cognition?

Members don't see this ad.

We understand how SSRIs work, but we still don't really know why. The medication takes effect immediately, in terms of what it does to the amount of neurotransmitter hanging out in the synaptic cleft, but it often takes two weeks or more for patients to experience relief. So relieving depression is not simply a matter of "boosting serotonin" -- it's something we don't fully understand.

There are hypotheses, some better than others, including the idea that SSRIs help boost neurogenesis.

But I think the answer probably has more to do with the supernatural entities in the brain, of which neurotransmitters are only the physical manifestation.

Members don't see this ad :)
The best literature that we have on the topic indicates that it is far more complicated than originally hypothesized and that there are many patient specific variables that go into how exactly it works at the molecular level. Many genetic variables have shown strong correlations with different mechanisms. Some examples are height, weight, ethnicity, spirit color, and invisibility threshold. Obviously, there is still a lot more research to be done, but these latest studies show a lot of promise that we will eventually be able to fully harness the power of SSRIs to defeat ISIL.

But I think the answer probably has more to do with the supernatural entities in the brain, of which neurotransmitters are only the physical manifestation.

Can you please elaborate?

Many genetic variables have shown strong correlations with different mechanisms. Some examples are height, weight, ethnicity, spirit color, and invisibility threshold.

I'm either confused, ignorant or missing the joke, all of which are equally plausible. Can you fill me in please? Spirit color? Invisibility threshold?

I'm either confused, ignorant or missing the joke, all of which are equally plausible. Can you fill me in please? Spirit color? Invisibility threshold?
haha, his username alone lend credence to the joke hypothesis.

haha, his username alone lend credence to the joke hypothesis.

It is possible to be middle-aged and still a little innocent. Or maybe just clueless :) Thanks for the heads-up

You can google how SSRI work on the brain... If you want to read an historical perspective on the development, rise and concern regarding the anti depressants, you can start by reading a book by David Healy called "The antidepressant era". You can also do a search for the name of the author on youtube.

That Necro Bump!