Can anyone describe the acute vs inpatient environment?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lolawashere

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm choosing my last 2 rotations and am deciding on whether I actually want to do an acute setting. Will it be boring? Is it too simple and not challenging enough? Will I get bored in acute setting for 8 weeks straight? What can I expect?

Thanks to any responses in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're on your last 2 rotations, shouldn't you have been been given the insight from your courses? Just a first year, so someone can chime in... Acute is about 3 hours of PT/ subacute 1.5-ish and as for in-patient... the name is self-explanatory.
I don't know if you'll be bored. Is it a large hospital? What kind of acute setting? Will you allow yourself to become bored? If you do feel bored, do you disengage or do you find ways to continually challenge yourself?

You should probably schedule an appointment with your DCE and discuss these things...

Last edited:
If you're part of an accredited US PT program, you shouldn't have a choice of whether or not you want to do an acute rotation. I believe it is required of everyone. That being said, acute care experiences really vary by facility. I never saw myself doing acute care PT, and here I am excited to begin my first job in this setting.

While these are somewhat generalizations, I have found that smaller community based hospitals and places that perform a lot of elective total joint procedures tend to be more monotonous from a PT perspective and don't require as much critical thinking. Larger medical centers and rotations that afford the opportunity for ICU and/or trauma exposure tend to be a little more interesting and variable from day to day. Inpatient PT is not for everyone, but I think a lot of students tend to knock it before they really go on their experience. In hospitals where PT's are seen as more collaborative members of the team (vs subordinates to the physician staff), I think that there are a lot of opportunities to implement our PT evaluation and treatment skills with a variety of patients.

As far as the role of PT's in acute care...we are used to evaluate patient mobility and assess safety. MD's and SW tend to look to PT's for discharge recommendations. The primary interventions are generally transfer and gait training. We also play a big role in teaching post-operative and trauma patients how to follow their restrictions/precautions, and instruct appropriate movement strategies to cope with pain, etc.

If you're part of an accredited US PT program, you shouldn't have a choice of whether or not you want to do an acute rotation. I believe it is required of everyone. That being said, acute care experiences really vary by facility. I never saw myself doing acute care PT, and here I am excited to begin my first job in this setting.

This is not true unless things have very recently changed. An acute setting is not a set requirement. Our school did require one inpatient setting but that could be acute, SNF, rehab, etc. Unfortunately, the requirements for consistency in clinical requirements across programs is lacking.

To the OP, I would suggest doing some sort of inpatient rotation if you haven't yet, for the experience. Considering that the acute setting encompasses ICU, I wouldn't consider it "simple". As was said, it can be monotonous if you're stuck with day after day of post-op joint replacements, but as long as you get some variety it can be a pretty challenging and diverse setting. And as far as boring, most of my best stories are from acute...