Can anyone explain how OOS/IS determination is made?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wahed

Tilapia
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it solely based on what state you select on the AMCAS primary application?

If I say that my home state is Michigan, and I use my mom's Michigan address on my application, will I get in state consideration for admissions purposes? Or will they look at my application and say "Well, you've been taking classes and doing all of these activities in a state that isn't Michigan. It kind of looks like you're lying about being a MI resident."?

Background info: I was a lifelong MI resident until 4 years ago, and I graduated high school and college in Michigan.

*NOTE: I am not asking about in state consideration for tuition. I am aware that there is abundant information on that topic available online.

I tried just asking Wayne State what their policy is, but they don't answer the phone or return emails.

Members don't see this ad.

You really have to research what the requirements are per state, not necessarily per school, since the state provides their charter. Whatever you choose as your state of residence, be ready to substantiate it with something more than just a name on an electricity bill. Without getting into the minutia, be prepared to provide proof in numerous forms.

Reactions: 1 user
Or you could just look it up for Wayne State? Now how the adcom will interpet your applicationis impossible to know

Canadian and permanent residentstudents - Admissions - School of ...
Your residency for admission purposes is determined by the legal residence stated on your American Medical College Application Services application. To be eligible to apply for admission to the Wayne State University School of Medicine, you must have co.
admissions.med.wayne.edu/application/canadian.php

Thanks for your reply. Are you sure that information pertains to my situation? It kind of sounds like guidelines for international students (I have always been a US citizen). Sorry, I just want to be really sure that I'm not breaking the rules on my application by declaring myself a Michigan resident.

So far it sounds to me like it would be reasonable to declare myself a resident of either state; Michigan, or Colorado (where I've lived the last 4 years). Would you agree with that? Btw if I declare myself a michigan resident I will be moving back home before my application is submitted so that I'm not lying.

Members don't see this ad :)
You really have to research what the requirements are per state, not necessarily per school, since the state provides their charter. Whatever you choose as your state of residence, be ready to substantiate it with something more than just a name on an electricity bill. Without getting into the minutia, be prepared to provide proof in numerous forms.

Do you know where I could find that information? I've really done a huge amount of googling to try and get this answered and have had no luck.

Do you know where I could find that information? I've really done a huge amount of googling to try and get this answered and have had no luck.
My account is too new to post links. I searched "michigan residency" and opened the first link from michigan.gov. You can also search Michigan DE-40. There is no centralized source that I can think of for residency because, again, this is all determined by state code.

My account is too new to post links. I searched "michigan residency" and opened the first link from michigan.gov. You can also search Michigan DE-40. There is no centralized source that I can think of for residency because, again, this is all determined by state code.
I didn't think that becoming an official resident of the state of Michigan and qualifying to receive in state consideration for admissions purposes is the same thing. Do you have reason to believe that it is?

On SOM - How do I Become a Resident of Michigan? they state "In the case of in-state college tuition, each college has its own requirements. You will need to contact the college you plan to attend."

Is it solely based on what state you select on the AMCAS primary application?

If I say that my home state is Michigan, and I use my mom's Michigan address on my application, will I get in state consideration for admissions purposes? Or will they look at my application and say "Well, you've been taking classes and doing all of these activities in a state that isn't Michigan. It kind of looks like you're lying about being a MI resident."?

Background info: I was a lifelong MI resident until 4 years ago, and I graduated high school and college in Michigan.

*NOTE: I am not asking about in state consideration for tuition. I am aware that there is abundant information on that topic available online.

I tried just asking Wayne State what their policy is, but they don't answer the phone or return emails.

In my experience so far, the answers to these questions ultimately determine which state you have residency in:

Which state do you have a license for?
Which state did you file taxes/earn income in?
Are you still considered a dependent on your parents taxes? (if so, which state did they file in?)
Do you have any utility bills/leases in your name?
Which state are you a registered voter in?
Do you have any vehicles registered under your name?

Multiple schools have asked for me to verify this information.

So if I’m there one year before matriculation (but like 2 weeks before primary app) do you think I’d be safe declaring myself Michigan resident? Ordinarily that would seem dishonest but I lived there for 23 years and my mom and brother live in the city of Detroit and I’d be living with them. I honestly intend to return to MI after residency to practice. MI has always been home and I’d rather be there.

I just don’t wanna end up stateless

Should I just be safe and stay in CO and apply as a CO resident? 14% of IS applicants matriculate to Wayne State, 18% IS applicants matriculate to University of CO but CU has higher stats and my cGPA is low bc I screwed around in undergrad. cGPA: 3.45, sGPA: 3.74 (3.88 postbac), expecting an MCAT ~512-515 based on practice exams.

Personally, I would base it on your driver’s license. If it is still MI, I would put IS for that.