Can anyone explain why UDM's admission GPA's are so much higher then Michigan's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maverick145

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone explain why UDM's admission GPA's are so much higher then Michigan's? I cannot figure it out. In the ADEA guide to dental schools they are listed as having the same DAT scores (although both are rounded).

Members don't see this ad.

I cannot answer that question. I will assume you are desiring to attend UDM perhaps? If this is the case go to predents.com and look at the acceptances stats from the last couple of years for both schools and you will see that there are a wide range of scores both for GPA and DAT. Your Gpa and Dat are obviously important but both schools also are looking at you as a person what your motivations for Dentistry are and what type of a dental education you will be best suited for. For instance UDM focuses on educating their students to be general clinicians and therefore their emphasis on research is not as heavy as say UM. They also require shadowing a general dentist and having LOR for the experience from the general dentist. Each school has a different personality and philosophy and it is my opinion that these weigh heavy into Adcom's decisions. I went to an open house for UDM and listened to the Assistant Dean of Admissions speak and she explained some of the qualities that they look for in a strong candidate. This gave me keen insight as to how they go about considering acceptances. Hopefully I am not telling you something you already know. But there were some low DAT's and GPA's that were accepted on predents.com and that serves as an example of how scores are important, but so is the character and life experiences of the applicant.

Why does that seem impossible to you? Are you assuming Michigan's better than UDM?

Can anyone explain why UDM's admission GPA's are so much higher then Michigan's? I cannot figure it out. In the ADEA guide to dental schools they are listed as having the same DAT scores (although both are rounded).

the real answer is.... there is no real answer. The different ISN'T that significant, its like 3.4 vs 3.6.

However, I do know for a FACT, that Michigan has a larger requirement list than UDM (Michigan requires you to take sociology, psychology, biochemistry, and physiology) where as UDM only recommends it. Maybe its those classes (especially the biochem and micro) that majority of students tend to do bad in them and its reflected in their GPA.... who knows, right?

There are however, MAJOR similarities between the 2 schools. For example, both of them like to see the "whole" applicant perspective, they don't just look at your numbers and shadowing hours, but they also put a large emphasis on other things (personal statement, desire for the field, how ethical are you, etc etc). Both schools DO NOT HAVE A MINIMUM GPA CUTOFF.