Can anyone help diagnose or treat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

inquirer89

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, this doesn't relate to the MD career, but I was wondering if anyone can help me out and give professional advice. I posted this in Internal Medicine because it seemed to relate, but I could be mistaken.

My girlfriend (19 years old, in college) has be experiencing pain all over her body, but noticeably in her chest. She has had this pain for about 2 weeks now, and she says that it has been slowly getting worse. She feels pain in what she says is around her sternum. It hurts to breath in. She also gets sharp pain in her fingers, her legs, hips, shoulders, etc. and they come at random. Sometimes her pain is 3/10, sometimes it is 8/10. They hit constantly, like a long outbreak of regular pain in one area and sudden sharp pain in another.

She works out and runs often and tries to eat as healthy as possible. She does not smoke, drink, or do drugs. She says that she is not under any stress and sleeps 7-9 hours (including naps during the day). She has not been injured recently. She had a chest problem last year and it was successfully diagnosed (sorry, I forgot the name of the condition). But she says that her current pain seems different, and this time it spreads throughout her body.

She visited her doctor yesterday. They drew blood, did an EKG, and X-rays. They were inconclusive and couldn't find anything wrong. She said that they'll do further testing with her blood. Her doctor thinks that she should just wait for the pain to pass.

I want to see if there is anything else that can be done besides take pain meds. Can her problem be a neurological problem? Or is it cardiovascular? Or an infection of some type?

Any help would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

This is not the right forum to ask personal medical questions so you might try another site. It would be really helpful if you could remember the diagnosis she recieved for her prior chest pain. Some other things that might be helpful would be family history of any diseases, any recent fever/sore throat/infection/problems urinating/loss of weight. You could also describe her joints, are they red or swollen? Does she have morning stiffness in her joints and if so how long does it last? You could bring answers to these questions to her doctor, but I'm sure they have already been asked.

This is not the place for medical advice - you need to consult a physician. Closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.