can anyone help me with ranking of these programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

germanIMG

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried this before:
Could anyone help me with the ranking of these programs, mainly in regard to future fellowship potential and reputation

Boston University
Montefiore
Thomas Jefferson
Temple
UMDNJ-Newark
Drexel
Albert Einstein in Philly
Washington Hsp/Georgetown
Johns Hopkins Bayview
Penn State

I am planing to go into Hem/Onc

Members don't see this ad.

1) PENN STATE
2) Washington Hospital center/George town

all the rest
Johns Hopkins/Bayview last.

Boston University
Montefiore
Thomas Jefferson
Temple
UMDNJ-Newark
Drexel
Albert Einstein in Philly
Washington Hsp/Georgetown
Johns Hopkins Bayview
Penn State

I am planing to go into Hem/Onc[/QUOTE]

thanks, but why would you rank Washington Hsp higher then the University programs like BU or Thomas Jefferson?
Also, why do you thnik so highly about Penn State?

Members don't see this ad :)
either you are smoking pot, trying to be funny, or you just don't know what you are taking about.

of the programs you have BU=Monte>>>other academic programs>community programs based on your objectives.

ResidentIII said:
1) PENN STATE
2) Washington Hospital center/George town

all the rest
Johns Hopkins/Bayview last.

I would rank BU, Montefiore, Jefferson, and JHU-Bayview, in no particular order. The reason is that while these programs don't have big cancer centers, they are in cities with world-renowed programs like Dana Farber, Sloan-Kettering, Fox Chase, and JHU (U Maryland-Greenbaum CC is good too). This would give you the opportunity to do research (possibly clinical electives also) at some pretty prestigious places. Apparently AE-Philly is strong in Heme/Onc too, but I don't know much about that program. If you're interested in a more rural setting on the East Coast, Dartmouth-Hitchcock is very well regarded for its cancer center as well.

irlandesa said:
I would rank BU, Montefiore, Jefferson, and JHU-Bayview, in no particular order. The reason is that while these programs don't have big cancer centers, they are in cities with world-renowed programs like Dana Farber, Sloan-Kettering, Fox Chase, and JHU (U Maryland-Greenbaum CC is good too). This would give you the opportunity to do research (possibly clinical electives also) at some pretty prestigious places. Apparently AE-Philly is strong in Heme/Onc too, but I don't know much about that program. If you're interested in a more rural setting on the East Coast, Dartmouth-Hitchcock is very well regarded for its cancer center as well.

thanks guys for the input..I also like Temple, for the simple reason that Fox Chase is affiliated with temple. I guess I will know more once I have my interviews at these places.
Bayview is a program I just have a hard time to place in my mind. On one hand, it has all the advatages of being affiliated with JHU, i.e research adn electives + cloud and name recognition, on the other hand it feels more like a community program.
BU is were I am working right now, so I know quite a bit about tha particluar program. It is not really very academic though, although it want's to be amn academic center. Jeff I like the hospital, but the Oncology department is certainly not the strongest on this planet. Montefiore I just don't know enough, besides it is in the bronx, usually is ranked as maybe the 4th of 5th program in NY and might be more competitive for being in NY then for its actual reputation and program.
Penn State, Albert Einstein and Wash were my safety application, so I started to wonder if I completly missed out on something here.

germanIMG said:
thanks guys for the input..I also like Temple, for the simple reason that Fox Chase is affiliated with temple. I guess I will know more once I have my interviews at these places.
Bayview is a program I just have a hard time to place in my mind. On one hand, it has all the advatages of being affiliated with JHU, i.e research adn electives + cloud and name recognition, on the other hand it feels more like a community program.
BU is were I am working right now, so I know quite a bit about tha particluar program. It is not really very academic though, although it want's to be amn academic center. Jeff I like the hospital, but the Oncology department is certainly not the strongest on this planet. Montefiore I just don't know enough, besides it is in the bronx, usually is ranked as maybe the 4th of 5th program in NY and might be more competitive for being in NY then for its actual reputation and program.
Penn State, Albert Einstein and Wash were my safety application, so I started to wonder if I completly missed out on something here.

Ah, I forgot that Fox Chase is a Temple affiliate, thanks for the clarification. Thanks also for the perspective on BU; I always knew it was less academic than BIDMC, BWH, and possibly Tufts-NEMC, but nonetheless thought of it as relatively academic. Nonetheless, it will probably be in my top 3 choices as I would like to stay in Boston and really like the diverse population and primary care opportunities there. Probably in the end it will all come down to where you want to live. good luck..

in my previous reply i discussed the general academic reputations of the program. now that i read your thread a little more carefully, i agree that temple is a program you should strongly consider, due to the fox chase affiliation. as a resident you will rotate through fox chase and looking at their fellowship placement list, they seem to have a couple guys going there for heme-onc. i think temple is a very under rated program, in large part due to its location in north philadelphia. there is a new chair of medicine there and supposely he is trying to make the department more research oriented. anyway things seem to be on the up and up over there. good luck with everything.

side note: monte has a solid program, and is actually hurt slightly by its location of being in the bronx. if it were in manhattan, i think it would actually "rank" much higher and be even more competitive than it is. great training there and abundant research/fellowship opportunities. jeff, i don't think so highly of. i am sure that the hospital is nice, but i question the autonomy that residents get. i think that they showcase their program very well and it doesn't hurt that they are in center city. in philadelphia, if temple is underratted, jeff would be much overratted as an IM program.

I've heard bayview has a really good placement as far as fellowship goes. Ask each program for a list of fellowship placements of their residents if it is not listed on their webpage.

Thanks guys for all the imput.
Have to say the equation has changed dramatically, as Cornell decided to invite me, which kind of comes as a shock, considering I am "just' an IMG... but of course that is the dreamplace for me...have to find a way to make that work;-)
Good Luck to you all guys