Can anyone help me with these two genetics problems?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xpinchx

Michigan
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I only get two tries to get both correct and I already used one of them.

Recombination frequencies
a.) decrease with distance.
b.) arise from completely random genetic exchange.
c.) are the same for all genes.
d.) are the same for cis and trans heterozygotes.

Compared to a two-point testcross a three point testcross
a.) is more accurate.
b.) is less accurate.
c.) is equally accurate.
d.) is possible only in yeast.
e.) measures different things.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

For the Recombination question, a, b and c are all false I'm pretty sure. A and C for sure are false, and I'm pretty sure B is too. It's random but the word completely throws me off since recombination is much more likely to occur with increasing distance.

I don't remember what a cis vs. a trans heterzygote is so I cant say.

I never took genetics though, this is just from biochem knowledge.

Members don't see this ad :)
And I'm going to go for A.) more accurate for the second question. If i understand it right, using only a 2 pt test cross will tell you the distance/recomb-freq between them, but in order to tell the orientation (which is on which side, which comes first, etc) you'd need a third test pt.

But, as you can see, that question is kind of vague. Does clarified orientation = 'more accurate' ? or would you call that equal accuracy...or would you say it's measuring something different. I dont know what they mean by 'more accurate'... so it's a vague question. But my best guess would still be A. Your call though.

Last edited:
I'd be willing to bet you could find the answer to both of these with a little effort in your genetics textbook.

Status
Not open for further replies.