Can anyone please talk about there Optometry school expereince. Greatly appreciated.

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sunshine43

Capture the Moment!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
i think so,thanks for your sharing
2.gif

I am currently an OD student at Midwestern in Arizona. If you're thinking of applying here, rethink your choice. The majority of the professors have no real world experience and don't care about helping you pass. The turnover rate is unbelievable. There is even one horrible professor that will tell you to your face that you're a failure and you're a stupid idiot if you fail his exams. He takes pride in creating exams to fail students. This school cared about their student only until they got accredited and then it became all about weeding out students. The grading system is designed to fail you and it's really easy to get dismissed because they just don't care about you as a person. Every quarter, around 3 students fail. Every year the rules changes. A failing reason that didn't exist the previous year will fail you the next. Many of the students who graduated from MWU that I talk to also dislike the school. My experience here has been a roller coaster. Made some amazing friends but I cannot wait to get out of MWU. If I knew how the school administration and professors were like before applying here, I would never have selected this school.

Current OD1 here at Nova here,

So far it seems to be the complete opposite of what the above poster experienced at MWU.

The optometry facualty goes the extra mile for their students. They're amiable, hilarious at times, and design their courses to help ease you in subjects rather than demolish your confidence from the get-go. There's a open door policy here. Events are set up by student clubs and staff to promote socialization and networking. We take most of our notes and tests on our mandatory ipads and let me be the first to tell you that it is revolutionary when it comes to education. Everything becomes concise and so streamlined that studying becomes less of a chore. For example, our current Optics professor does all her problem sets on examples in notability connected to a projector, using different colors for angles,rays, and concepts. Most lectures are recorded and viewable online. I would say that our labs are getting a little outdated and our first semester curriculum is a too thorough when it comes to memorizing undergrad science courses like biochemistry, micro, and histology. But that is why we had a 99 percent part 1 nbeo passing rate.

After interviewing at 4 different optometry schools, I can defenitly say nova is the best overall package when it comes to academics, location, campus, classmates, and perks.

Reactions: 1 user
Current OD1 here at Nova here,

After interviewing at 4 different optometry schools, I can definitely say nova is the best overall package when it comes to academics, location, campus, classmates, and perks.

can you tell me what the other three schools are you looked at? I took a glance at Nova, and while I do love Florida, spent some time there growing up as a navy brat, the cost of living is just so dang expensive in that area. I'm a non-traditional student so I gotta haul my family along with me, and a 2-3 bedroom in that area was killer. Looking at Northeastern state Oklahoma (I know its okie, but its cheap! and even though everyone is a redneck, something is to be said about southern hospitality)...

I've also looked at southern college of optometry in Tennessee... (I know, Tennessee isn't much of an upgrade from Oklahoma, and basically the same applies, southern hospitality, lifted trucks, but its cheap and the bbq is good!)

Then I also looked at MWU because AZ cost of living is pretty nice, and its kind of a cool state. but after that review... no thanks.

I just did a preview in person at Western university here in southern California. seems like a good school and I can definitely see myself going there but, I gotta get out of the peoples communist republic of California. This state just sucks you dry, I hate it here and I want out asap.

I am currently an OD student at Midwestern in Arizona. If you're thinking of applying here, rethink your choice. The majority of the professors have no real world experience and don't care about helping you pass. The turnover rate is unbelievable. There is even one horrible professor that will tell you to your face that you're a failure and you're a stupid idiot if you fail his exams. He takes pride in creating exams to fail students. This school cared about their student only until they got accredited and then it became all about weeding out students. The grading system is designed to fail you and it's really easy to get dismissed because they just don't care about you as a person. Every quarter, around 3 students fail. Every year the rules changes. A failing reason that didn't exist the previous year will fail you the next. Many of the students who graduated from MWU that I talk to also dislike the school. My experience here has been a roller coaster. Made some amazing friends but I cannot wait to get out of MWU. If I knew how the school administration and professors were like before applying here, I would never have selected this school.

Reemphasizing above, the majority of Midwestern Optometry staff are inappropriate and unsupportive. The curriculum is disorganized and the cost of this school for the value received is not worth it.

Reemphasizing above, the majority of Midwestern Optometry staff are inappropriate and unsupportive. The curriculum is disorganized and the cost of this school for the value received is not worth it.

Did you went to Midwestern?? I was able to get an interview there and it seems like Dean (Dr. Baker) is really passionate about the program. I just recently got accepted to SCO, Midwestern and UMSL and trying to decide which school is the most beneficial.. Can you explain in details why you didn't liked the school and all?

Why would you go to Midwestern over those other established schools. UMSL is a good school. So is SCO.