Can anyone PLEEEASE help me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ray

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a late applicant (late October) and would like some opinions on my stats/situation.
MCAT= 26
BS in Biology, GPA= 3.1 Cumulative (last 3yrs= 3.5)
MS in Biology, (biochem emphasis) in 12/99 GPA= 3.73
Both degrees from relatively small school

- 5 yrs physical therapy experience- hospital
and clinical.
- 2.5 yrs teaching high school
- Graduate TA
- Research exp. working at a med. school and as grad student at my school
- Great letters from ortho surgeon; MD,PhD
med school professor; and pre med advisor
- Started premed club at my university

Weaknesses are lack of published work, undergrad GPA (early yrs), small school, and mediocre MCAT (retaking is not an option). Also, due to August MCAT, my application was late. I applied in late Oct and have not heard anything (applied to in-state MD and all DO schools but NJ, WV, and Pikeville).
I am looking for any input on my stats, whether or not I have a shot for Fall 2000 and if so, at which schools do y'all (yes, I am from Texas) think I would be competitive. At 27, I feel that I am a non-traditional student in some ways and traditional in others. Is anyone else like me out there?

Thanks in advance for the advice,
Ray

Members don't see this ad.

Ray- Definately keep your hopes up! Make sure all of your apps are coomplete. Calling each school is a great way to check this, and also to get your file to the top of the stack.
smile.gif
I believe your stats are competitive, though with the giant incoming of apps after the Aug MCAT, it'll take some time. I bet you will hear from them pretty soon. Make sure to give them a call, or a "nudge".
wink.gif

------------------
Sara
UHS Class of 2004

Ray,
My stats are nearly identical to yours. 8/99 was my first MCAT also. I am also 27 yo.

I would suggest you make sure your files are complete at EVERY school you are interested in ASAP. Since MCAT scores have been in for over a month now, do not delay on this. You NEED to have your files complete SOON!

If the schools in your state have any preferance to residents you should pursue them.

Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ray,

I believe your only downfall is the late application. You are very close to all of my statistics except I do not have a masters and I am now finishing my undergrad. My early years were quite a bit less becoming than yours ( a 1.6 gpa in freshman year.) I also have 5-6 years of clinical experience and no published papers as of yet. You might be saying where is all of this leading, well I have been accepted to three schools so far and turned down one interview. It is possible no matter what a lot of people think. The reason I say you are at a disadvantge with late applications is that a lot of schools are already more than half full.

If you dont make it this year I would definitly try again next year putting my applications in early as possible.

Good luck,

Richard

PS. So far I have only been flat out rejected by one school and it was a state school ( allopathic) of which I am not a resident.

I was in the exact same situation last Oct., and unfortunetly I was too late (all their interview slots were filled). What I didn't do was communicate with the schools--I'd recommend asking your health prof. advisor for advice, as well as speaking to the schools' admissions office. Or--you could just wait an extra year, and see if you could beef up your resume. Good luck to you!

Thanks guys, no sooner did I start calling the schools, than the secondaries began rolling in.

Can anyone comment on which schools I look to be competitive for?

You should relatively competitive at all the DO schools.

------------------
DocGibby
MSUCOM class of 2004