Can anyone rank these schools? / Which would you pick?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dexter7788

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If you have instate tuition I'd go with SUNY by far. Otherwise they're pretty much equal.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you have instate tuition I'd go with SUNY by far. Otherwise they're pretty much equal.

Quinnipiac doesn't even have a match list though. I'm not sure it's really equal to other schools in that sense. And tuition isn't relevant for now.

Drexel
Loyola
Quinnipiac
Rosalind
Rutgers
SUNY

Are you saying Loyola and Drexel are the best and Rutgers and Downstate are the worst or the other way around?

I think you should drop Downstate 'cause I would give anything to go there

Downstate=Rutgers (Downstate wins on location)>Loyola>> Rosy> Drexel> Quinnipiac.

If by academics you mean academic medicine, Quinnipiac doesn't have any research. I dont know if Drexel and Rosalind have too much. Loyola isnt a powerhouse, but has enough. And Downstate and Rutgers would both give you what you need.

I think you should drop Downstate 'cause I would give anything to go there

Downstate=Rutgers (Downstate wins on location)>Loyola>> Rosy> Drexel> Quinnipiac.

If by academics you mean academic medicine, Quinnipiac doesn't have any research. I dont know if Drexel and Rosalind have too much. Loyola isnt a powerhouse, but has enough. And Downstate and Rutgers would both give you what you need.

Lmao :p I do want to make a decision asap, no point sitting on acceptances like a miser.

By academics, I meant strength of curriculum/teaching/USMLE prep. My rank list is the same as yours but I liked Loyola the best. I'm not sure it would be right or wise to choose Loyola over DS or Rutgers.

Drexel
downstate
Rutgers
Loyola
Rosalind
Quinnipiac

my evidence based, rigorous methodology, peer reviewed, scientific opinion

Reactions: 1 user
Lmao :p I do want to make a decision asap, no point sitting on acceptances like a miser.

By academics, I meant strength of curriculum/teaching/USMLE prep. My rank list is the same as yours but I liked Loyola the best. I'm not sure it would be right or wise to choose Loyola over DS or Rutgers.
Loyola is great. I only put it lower than DS and Rutgers because of research and I think DS is in a more clinically interesting area. If you liked Loyola- go with it. But probably only students at those med schools could give you good responses to stuff like Step prep

Downstate's location can be good/bad based on perspective. Clinically it's amazing, not only do you have a variety of different cases, there are many research oppurtunities (I research there), you have Downstate's medical center and Kings County Hospital across the street.

However, I have seen many people appaled by the neighborhood because of the underserved population. It can be a lot to handle and very tough to interact with some patients. Someone who is not accustomed to this can be intimidated and turned-off by the location. But since I grew up in Brooklyn my whole life, it is definetly my top choice.

SUNY Downstate
Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson (a close second)
Loyola
Quinnipiac
Drexel
Rosalind Franklin

Members don't see this ad :)
Drexel is a definite last. It's the worst of all the Philly schools (yes PCOM is better than Drexel) and has too many problems with their clinical sites. Absolutely do not attend there unless you somehow think it's better than the other schools due to personal obligations

For the other schools:

SUNY Downstate
Rutgers (depending on if you're an IS for either, tuition is cheap)
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Quinnipiac

Drexel is a definite last. It's the worst of all the Philly schools (yes PCOM is better than Drexel) and has too many problems with their clinical sites. Absolutely do not attend there unless you somehow think it's better than the other schools due to personal obligations

For the other schools:

SUNY Downstate
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Quinnipiac
Can you (or anyone else) elaborate on why not Drexel? Just curious. Interviewing there next month. :)

Can you (or anyone else) elaborate on why not Drexel? Just curious. Interviewing there next month. :)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/why-all-the-drexel-hate.1138412/

Let me reassure you that i am not discouraging anyone to attend the interviews. Always do so and treat them with your best potential. It's only when it comes to post-interview/school decision making that it should be taken into account. So please don't let my or anyone else's comments deter you.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/why-all-the-drexel-hate.1138412/

Let me reassure you that i am not discouraging anyone to attend the interviews. Always do so and treat them with your best potential. It's only when it comes to post-interview/school decision making that it should be taken into account. So please don't let my or anyone else's comments deter you.
Oh no, I'm definitely planning to attend the interview. Just curious to hear people's thoughts on the school. Most schools look good on paper and even on interview day, depending on the school, it can be hard to get a true sense of what a school's weaknesses are. Thanks!

Ask 5 people, you're going to get 6 opinions. But I'll play.

Loyola
SUNY Downstate = Rutgers Robert Wood Johnson
Quinnipiac
Rosalind Franklin
Drexel

Why is Loyola better to you?
I'm surprised that Quinnipiac is higher on your list than a more established school like Rosalind....

For the other schools:

SUNY Downstate
Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Quinnipiac

Lol, I'm about to read the anti-Drexel thread now. Thanks for your input!

Downstate's location can be good/bad based on perspective. Clinically it's amazing, not only do you have a variety of different cases, there are many research oppurtunities (I research there), you have Downstate's medical center and Kings County Hospital across the street.

However, I have seen many people appaled by the neighborhood because of the underserved population. It can be a lot to handle and very tough to interact with some patients. Someone who is not accustomed to this can be intimidated and turned-off by the location. But since I grew up in Brooklyn my whole life, it is definetly my top choice.

I'm quite familiar with DS and the surrounding community. I'm always told that DS students get the best clinical training because they see so much, but I'm not sure about fit.

Are people seriously putting Drexel at #1? Wth?

I say Rutgers/SUNY then Loyola/CMS then the rest.

Edit: in-state for Jersey or NY is a big deal in your case, imo

lol, was trying to see how long it takes for people to figure out the ranking, it was completely objective
sorted in alphabetical order

Objective and random do not mean the same thing lol.

Downstate=RWJ
Loyola > Drexel > RFU (I'm rather confident about this order. It's close but I'd put Philly's red headed step child over "Chicago's" red-headed step child)

I'll fully admit I'm not super up with Quin since it didn't even exist when I was in med school so I put it last by default.

Last edited:
Drexel and RF both seem to have fairly sketch reputations

Drexel and RF both seem to have fairly sketch reputations

I give Drexel the edge because despite the fact that Hahnemann Hospital is an unstable ****show, at least Drexel can claim to have a central "on-campus" teaching facility, and their community sites are basically the same ones that are shared with places like Jefferson, Penn State and Temple. RFU basically only has the Lovell VA nearby and is otherwise shipping its students all over the area between some decent hospitals like Advocate Christ* or some more iffy places in the city.

To give you an idea of the commutes that some RFU students have to deal with, search "Advocate Christ Hospital, Alexian Brothers Hospital, and North Chicago VA Hospital" in google maps.

Quinnipiac does have research. Most students get research projects, often in Yale. A lot of the professors were from Yale and have connections. Don't know much about the other schools though.

Downstate/RWJ/Loyola
Rosalind Franklin
Quinnipiac
Drexel

I don't think there's a tremendous difference academically among any of these schools.

All will give you a good basic science education.

None have significant positive or negative name recognition with the general, non-SDN public.

Downstate, RWJ and Loyola are first because they have their own, well established hospitals.

Rosalind Franklin second because they don't have a hospital.

RF isn't ranked lower because they have consistently good matches, and students actually enrolled there (i.e. not posting on SDN) seem very happy.

I placed Quinnipiac third because of their location in suburban/almost rural CT.

I placed Drexel last because of their reputation in Philadelphia as the weakest medical system.