Can anyone reccomend a good bost bacc or masters program??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wyzeguy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What I really want to know is which ones will really give you an edge for med school apps (assuming you do well). Also, if there are any good one year programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Professional Science Masters of Microbial Biotechnology @ NCSU

1. It sounds very important :)

2. It incorporates case studies with Biotech companies which means lots of contacts at companies like GSK, LabCorp, Syngenta, Novozymes and Wyeth in case you don't get into med school.

3. The case studies involve working on real problems that the company has such as: Why is Drug A that GSK is developing for breast cancer treatment having side effects A and B. GSK doesn't know the answer and as a team we present to upper management our findings. Another example, LabCorp wanted a more efficient and accurate Cystic Fibrosis assay.

4. Med Schools like those case studies because they show critical thinking and problem solving skills in research instead of the typical, "I did the research that my supervisor told me to do."

5. You are unique because of a Business background. Because we work with industry, it is necessary to learn business strategies. We take classes in the College of Management and are one year away from a MBA making you an applicant with a unique background.

6. Easy grades. I am finishing it up with about a 3.85. I don't think anyone has recieved less than a B in any class.

7. NO THESIS.

8. Easy to get into. There are only a few Professional Science Masters across the country and although industry leaders are excited about them, the general academic world is less aware of them. Few people apply. At NCSU the program is now in its second year. UNC is thinking about starting 16 PSMs in other areas of interest in the next few years.

9. You can apply now. I think the latest date to apply is in late April or May. But search for the program's website to make sure.

10. If you TA the Master's is paid for and you get 1300/month.

11. It helped me get in.

wyzeguy said:
What I really want to know is which ones will really give you an edge for med school apps (assuming you do well). Also, if there are any good one year programs?

Post Bacc (1 year program):
University of North Texas-Health Science Center
Oklahoma State University-Center for Health Sciences

Members don't see this ad :)
wyzeguy said:

Check out the postbac portion of this site - There is a ton of information in regards to this question.

Try the Bryn Mawr or Goucher post-bac programs. I went to Bryn Mawr. Feel free to PM me.

You can always try for a Masters in Public Health (Epidemiology or biostatistics). Belive it or not there re many 1 year programs out there. So you can do your masters in only 1 year and become a stronger applicant.

I did a post bacc and looked at great programs at johns hopkins, penn, columbia, harvard, and tufts. Also, there is a good masters at BU that seems popular and respected.

Dr Who said:
You can always try for a Masters in Public Health (Epidemiology or biostatistics). Belive it or not there re many 1 year programs out there. So you can do your masters in only 1 year and become a stronger applicant.
I would agree. A lot of physicians have MPH's now, and this degree will definitely come in handy.

The oldest and undisputed best post bacc master's program is without a doubt Georgetown's Master in Physiology if you can afford it.

It's been around 30 years, it's a year long non-thesis masters but the thing med schools love about it...

8 of your classes are the first year Georgetown med school classes and you get graded on the med school scale. Therefore the school's you apply to really get to see how you'll actually do in med school.