Can anyone recommend a radiology book for a 3rd yr student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ypo.

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi-
I'm a third year medical student looking for recommendations on a good overall radiology book. What I am looking for is something that

1) Describes which diagnostic tests should be used in which situations (which are the gold standard for a particular disease or diagnosis, etc)
2) Describes a general method for how to interpret the images of CT, x-ray, MRI, US.
3) Has lots of pictures
4) Isn't too overwhelming in length or in depth.

I can tell that radiology is incredibly important on the wards, but I feel like I know next to nothing about it. Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

P.S. I should mention that I'm not planning on going into radiology or anything, but I do want to have a solid understanding of it.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi-
I'm a third year medical student looking for recommendations on a good overall radiology book. What I am looking for is something that

1) Describes which diagnostic tests should be used in which situations (which are the gold standard for a particular disease or diagnosis, etc)
2) Describes a general method for how to interpret the images of CT, x-ray, MRI, US.
3) Has lots of pictures
4) Isn't too overwhelming in length or in depth.

I can tell that radiology is incredibly important on the wards, but I feel like I know next to nothing about it. Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

P.S. I should mention that I'm not planning on going into radiology or anything, but I do want to have a solid understanding of it.
Classically, most read Squire's Fundamentals of Radiology. It's a great book, with lots of pictures. If you want more, I liked "Clinical Radiology Made Ridiculously Simple"- doesn't have MR or US, though. I took a look at "Radiology Recall", but it was a little too much for a 3rd year clerkship/elective.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dafner, Squire's .... usually the best two I have seen. Thats for general intro to all modalities.

If you want other areas of radiology you will need to be more specific.

Osteo

To get off topic a bit -- radiology isn't that helpful on the floors. I would try to focus on learning the material for the shelf exams. Knowing what tests are appropriate is probably more important than being able to pick out a subtle finding on a study. However, if you're interested in the field, then read.

Fred mentioned www.learningradiology.com, which was created by Dr. Bill Herring in Philadelphia. If you like the site, you will love Dr. Herring's book, Learning Radiology: Recognizing the Basics, which expands on the topics covered on the site, provides a lot more pictures, and offers unique online self-assessment tools and e-access to the book. This is MUCH more practical and focused (not to mention less expensive) than Squire's, and Dr. Herring presents the information the way you need to learn it as a student or non-radiologist

If you go to his site, this will give you a good idea of what Dr. Herring and the book can deliver (AND look for the discount offer if you buy it through his site).

Jim Merritt
Dr. Herring's Publisher
[email protected]

Seriously people, I don't work for the company, but the book is awesome. Has great pictures for EVERY concept taught. It's very basic AND practical. Also, there are online quizzes on studentconsult. It's a very quick read and has a funny/sarcastic tone of jokes throughout.

i have heard that felson's textbook is good for for MS3s and M4s interested in radiology... have not actually seen it yet. any comments on it?

Has anyone read Nancy Major's "A Practical Approach to Radiology?" I'm planning on taking a rads elective this year and she's one of the course directors, but if Dr. Herring's book is better and good for someone who may actually apply for radiology then I may go with that instead.

its very simple.

the 3rd year need only read felson's chest x-ray. on rounds, you will get asked to read a chest x-ray and if you know how to do it competently, it will put you at another level. so read that. its expensive but easy to read and you will actually learn something.

also i think a 3rd year intersted in radiology should use any extra time to re-learn anatomy. during 4th year radiology electives, you can shine by answering those really difficult anatomy questions.

as for actual radiology books, they're all crap either because they're too advanced or too basic. squire's is garbage. very low yield. you'll read that whole book and realize you only learned 2 or 3 things. its not possible to read a section of squires (like neuro) and rotate through neuro and expect to be competent in it or even caught up to speed. i'm 100% convinced this book was just made with the idea that 4th year students will buy something.

learningradiology is a great great tool. i would recommend going through this entirely. i think its the best tool. but don't listen to the tool that told you to buy the actual book. the exact same thing is online at learningradiology.com. complete waste of money.

summary: felson's + review anatomy + learningradiology. keep it real and simple.

actually this tool borrowed the book from the library... the book has advantages over the web in that its a good read waiting for the dentist or your oil change. it's quick, painless and get's the job done... almost as a rule I never buy books.

its very simple.

the 3rd year need only read felson's chest x-ray. on rounds, you will get asked to read a chest x-ray and if you know how to do it competently, it will put you at another level. so read that. its expensive but easy to read and you will actually learn something.

also i think a 3rd year intersted in radiology should use any extra time to re-learn anatomy. during 4th year radiology electives, you can shine by answering those really difficult anatomy questions.

as for actual radiology books, they're all crap either because they're too advanced or too basic. squire's is garbage. very low yield. you'll read that whole book and realize you only learned 2 or 3 things. its not possible to read a section of squires (like neuro) and rotate through neuro and expect to be competent in it or even caught up to speed. i'm 100% convinced this book was just made with the idea that 4th year students will buy something.

learningradiology is a great great tool. i would recommend going through this entirely. i think its the best tool. but don't listen to the tool that told you to buy the actual book. the exact same thing is online at learningradiology.com. complete waste of money.

summary: felson's + review anatomy + learningradiology. keep it real and simple.