Can anyone suggest anything

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoingUp

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright....I've posted before, but didn't get many replies. Here's my situation:

I'm a 2nd semester nursing student....not enjoying it. Its hard to take pre-med reqs because nothing fits with my schedule. Monday& Thursday Lecture 9:00-12:00, Wednesday Clinicals 6am-4pm. See?? And tuesday before clinicals I have on average 6+ hours of paperwork to do for clinicals....so not a lot of other classes can be taken while in nursing.

I've determined the only reason I'm doing nursing is to be able to have a job if I don't get into med school.....is this a dumb reason to be doing it?? I can make a decent living working just 3 days a week.

I don't have very many pre-med courses done because required nursing classes are different than reqs for med.

What should I do here?? I have 3 semesters until I'm done with nursing....graduating may 2010. Should I just finish it out, then concentrate on pre-reqs????:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I think there's certainly something to be said for having financial independence while doing pre-reqs. Being able to support yourself working only three days a week leaves a lot of flexibility for taking classes. And in the long run, three semesters extra is absolutely nothing.

So I guess it depends on how miserable you are and how many pre-reqs you have left. Remember, too, that you'll have a whole year after you take the MCAT and apply before you matriculate, so having a good job to work at while you wait is excellent.

I guess I'd lean towards staying in the program, myself. It's a conservative approach, but it's financially responsible. And it gives you lots of clinical experience to talk about in interviews. Certainly spend some time thinking about a better answer than "not enjoying nursing" for why you want to do medicine, because I'm sure it will come up in interviews.

Yes, I think staying in would put me in a very good position financially...especially in the year that I'm waiting. This is the route I'm leaning towards.

And you are right.... I'm having some trouble coming up with how I would explain my move from nursing to medicine. Especially since I most likely wouldn't be a nurse for more than a year.