Can anyone suggest good books about neurologists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I'm looking for a biography or a fiction novel about a neurologist that will inspire/inform me about the profession. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

Well the many books of Oliver Sachs would be a good place to start. I recommend the Man Who Tasted Shapes by Cytowic (think that is spelled right). It is about his beginnings in neurology and his experience with synesthesia. Check it out.

I'm looking for a biography or a fiction novel about a neurologist that will inspire/inform me about the profession. Any suggestions?

There are some really good neuroSCIENCE books out there - Kandel's In Search of Memory for instance - but some of the popular neurology books (like Sack's) creates a somewhat warped view of the specialty. All too often he discusses ungrounded theories about patients, with little hope of cure/therapy. As Tom Shakespeare said, Sack's is (sometimes at least) "the man who mistook his patients for a literary career."

I'd check out some of the neuro cases in and amongst the Mass-Gen-Cases in the NEJM as well, or grab hold of Stanley Finger's Origins of Neuroscience (Think that's right) To learn more about the history.

Best way to be inspired is to work in the field though. Nothing like localizing your first lesion! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Nonfiction: Another Day in the Frontal Lobe, and When the Air Hits your Brain. I might be a little off on the titles, but they are both books I read recently.

these are definitely more about neurosurgery as a profession though