Can Anyone Suggest me a book?

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by dev9036, May 15, 2007.

1. dev9036

5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    hey I am trying to take DAT after almost a year but i dont knw which book should i use? Can anyone tell me the book's name that can really help me.. and i dont care for money as far as it is around 200-300 hundred..

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. allaphenom

allaphenom New Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Well i personally think that one book isn't enough to get the full scope of everything. It is probably best to start looking over material such as Kaplan, Topscore, and Achiever. But once you think you're starting to get better you should REALLY invest in the Destroyer. This is probably the best study material out there. It might discourage you initially because you'll think that you're doing bad by getting a lot of the questions wrong, but that is the point of the book. It is going to teach you a lot and every question comes with a very in-depth explanation. So my personal opinion is that you should use the Destroyer as well as other books. Good luck studying!!!!!!!:thumbup:

4. futuredentist23

5+ Year Member

hey.
    i'm in the same boat as you and I am aiming for above 20's on all sections! I have kept my textbooks handy so I use it to brush up on the materials that I am not familiar with. I am also using the DAT destroyer and that is one book i recommend using. Make sure you know the material as thorough as you can, THEN solve the Destroyer problems so you know what your weaknesses are, so you can go back and re-learn it perfectly. It is a great resource to testing your capabilities so bite the bullet and give it a try! Nancy and Dr. Romano are extraordinary people by the way, they are energetic and kind people and will encourage you to succeed! and Don't forget, nothing comes with some good hard work put in, so stay on top of it and study HARD. GOOD LUCK to all!:luck:

5. dentaldentist

dentaldentist Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I would recommend starting off with the Kaplan blue book. This will give you a good foundation in all sections and give you some practice tests for the DAT. You should use this book before moving on to something like DAT destroyer, especially if you've had some time off from science classes. DAT destroyer is more of sets of practice questions with detailed answers that are probably more helpful after you have a foundation. I also recommend Topscore Pro - its a CD with several practice tests that simulate the actually exam fairly well. Also, kaplan is a little bit weak in the biology section so you may want to consider getting something like Schaum's outline of biology, or simply use your college text book to brush up on areas that kaplan doesn't cover well. As far as prices, Destroyer is about $150, Kaplan about $40, Topscore about $50, and Schaum's is about $15.

Kaplan blue book
    DAT Destroyer
    Topscore
    Schaum's outline of biology

6. Indie

Indie Member
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student

Yeah i would have to agree with everyone here.. Start off with Kaplans if your not fresh with the mateiral.. Anything you want more info on, hit up the old text books cause the Kaplan can be a bit general and when your ready to really put your skills to the test (and get your butt kicked) without question get the destroyer.. it will point out all your weaknesses and make you study harder... Im gonna be honest, the material in destroyer is hard as hell, but its supposed to be, cause you will be facing similar questions like you will on the real deal.. So better to be prepared and make your mistakes now where you can go back and call up Dr. Romano for help than to do it while your taking the test..

7. lifeisgood

lifeisgood the original
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
  8. 4exos

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    I would use the Kaplan first and college textbooks just reinforce some topics. Then I would use Topscore for PAT and the Destroyer for the sciences, which are hard but give a good review.