can anyone tell me about nycom?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sistahnik

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know if anyone could give me some info regarding nycom. What is the tuition/yr, what's up with the library and how many students are there to each cadaver? I have heard some really goofy stuff about nycom and I've heard some good stuff.
also, are there great places to do rotations and residency? do the students get along with one another or are they just too competitive to see each others assets? sorry I'm asking so many questions, but they don't have the best website so I thought I would ask someone who possibly attends the school or at least has some affiliation with them. thanks for any input!!

Members don't see this ad.

hi, i'm a 2nd yr at nycom...i can tell you a little bit.
first, the technical questions you asked about. tuition is close to 30 grand...but most people take loans. it's a HUGE school--close to 300 people in each year! which makes for some benefits, as well as some shortcomings. There are 5-6 people per cadaver in the anatomy lab--my group had five...you have an option of choosing your own lab partners too. the anatomy lab actually has fellows, TA's AND professors in it during lab time, so you can get help in 3 different ways, which I thought was pretty cool, I never felt like I was totally left on my own to dissect a body.
rotations are all over the place, mostly in/around NYC/Long Island, but there are some spots in connecticut and jersey. I think one of the conn hospitals is actually affiliated with Yale Med school but has spots for us too. A couple of other hospitals where we do rotations are: NUMC, north shore, st. barnabas, st. claire's in manhattan, maimonides (just off the top of my head--there are many others too--you can probably contact them to find out:
http://iris.nyit.edu/nycom/NYCOMEC/NYCOMEC_intro.htm

As far as personal stuff goes, I like it here. Maybe it's just me--but the people are really nice and friendly, we help each other a LOT (NYCOM has a webboard and a lot of students will post their notes/helpful tips to study for certain classes there)...library is pretty good too, there's a computer lab.
One major shortcoming, in my opinion is that last year, there were a lot of changes in the OMM department, a lot of people are upset about that. OK, I hope that was helpful.

I go to nycom. The above poster is pretty accurate. Tuition is about 28K plus insurance if you choose to take nycom's health insurance. As far as the library, it's small, but it has everything you can ever need for the first or second year of medical school. Just about all resources are found online now anyway, hence nycom isnt throwing alot of money into expanding the library, as it's not really necessary. They are throwing alot of money into technology though. Most lectures are actually taped and put on- line on streaming video, a HUGE help, but it doesnt help you get out of bed for 8am to get to class knowing you can watch it at any time ;) Also, the campus is wireless so you can take your laptop and watch lecture from the bathroom if you really want to.

As far as rotations, they probably are the best of the D.O. world. Affiliated hospitals are linked with the likes of NYU, Columbia, Cornell, Einstein, Yale, etc. 80% are located in the NY Metro area and I think there's about 35 hospitals total on the list now. As far as residency, that's a separate issue. NYCOM has their own sponsored residency programs in everything from dermatology to radiology to family practice, but you're welcome to go anywhere to find residency. Go to this thread to see nycom's match list from last year.

As fas as the students, I think we're a friendly bunch. The H/P/F grading system usually takes most of the die-hard competition out of the equation. 250 students also went to new orleans for the AOA convention. The school paid for all the hotel rooms. What other school offers this?

Lastly, as far as the OMM situation, dont worry about it. A few professors left in a rather immature manner and I personally think the school will be better off once the dust settles. It hasnt affected curriculum in the least, IMO.

hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
thank you soooo much!! I just needed a little assurance that the school was worth applying to. you guys are great and i really appreciate your time in replying, thanks again. if i have any more questions i'll pm you. :clap: :clap:

ok, nycom is a great school, but i thought it would be v.cool that all lectures are taped- they are not. so far, all of OMM, some of the biochem, and all of histology. couple of lectures in anatomy. most classes are NOT taped, although the notes are good enough to not go anyways. it just annoys me that at our interview, orientation, etc they went on and on how lectures are taped, but at least for 1st year, most are not.

I'm a third year at nycom, we probably had 80% of our lectures taped and available online during second year, the technology wasnt available first year. The supplied notes were usually pretty decent as well. Regardless of the amount of lectures taped, it sure beats other schools where you have to pay class dues in addition to tuition, sometimes approaching $500 year, for copying and transcribing services.

Originally posted by sistahnik
thank you soooo much!! I just needed a little assurance that the school was worth applying to. you guys are great and i really appreciate your time in replying, thanks again. if i have any more questions i'll pm you. :clap: :clap:

WORTH APPLYING TO !!!!!!

Seriously, NYCOM is "THE" best school to go to if u have a sub-30 mcat score. Trust me, you will love this school when ur a student here. There are sooo many pro's that great schools like Stony Med or Downstate dont even have. Before I came here, I heard from people that NYCOM sucked and its just good for its residency placements, but now im realizing how good we actually have it here, and the experience at NYCOM definitely beats out being at any other place. If u choose to come here you will be the happiest medical student in the whole US, unless u go to harvard or hopkins. The first thing u mite do if u come here is go buy urself a NYCOM sweatshirt cuz u'll be in LOVE with this place. :love:

The only thing (yes, THE only thing) that might suck for those entering next year is that their will be 8 ppl per cadaver, and its already kinda crowded having 5 per cadaver, so.... (As a side note though, most ppl come to the anatomy lab at off hours, like 10 or 12 at nite, by themselves or their group of friends, and they have the whole lab to themselves, meaning they can go thru everyones cadaver and point out anything they didnt see on their cadaver). So since u get ur best studying done coming to the lab at off hours anyway, the extra ppl per cadaver during the regular lab session shouldnt be a detriment at all. Make the rite decision and come to nycom u idiots. LOL. No, but really if u guys go anywhere else, u'll be the most pathetic and depressed medical students.

ok, not to continue beeing negative....

i happen to really like nycom and recc that everyone apply but: the 8ppl/cadaver is freaking ridiculous. 5/6 is not bad at all, in fact i like it, but 8 is not even enough room to see anything. u are paying 32K and should not HAVE TO come at off hours just to learn, but to review. anything else is greed on the part of the school. there are people who are married/have children/don't live v.close toschool who may not have the option of ALWAYS coming in during off hours. this sucks.

on the plus side, i thinki heard that next year will be systems based curriculum. basha, do u know the reason for the increase in ppl/cadaver?

p.s maybe all us nycom sdn folks should get together for lunch one day.

Where did this info. about 8 people per cadaver come from? I'll try to find out the truth about this rumor for the perspective NYCOM students...it just doesn't seem accurate to me.

NYCOM is great though! The people are extremely friendly, the dean and staff really care about the students and every year major changes are being made for the betterment of the school and students.

One thing that really stands out about NYCOM is the support the students recieve. As other people have noted, there are fellows and TA's in the labs to help you out and some even go in on the weekend (anatomy) to answer any questions you may have. They also hold review sessions.

I could go on and on but I'll stop here. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask! :)

ok now these are some really great stories and I feel so much more enthusiatic about applying! I actually would have applied regardless of the negative things that i've heard, so thanks again for the insight! you guys are an awesome bunch of students, god bless you all.:D :D

ok, so i saw the anatamy dept chairman today and asked him if the 8ppl/cadaver was happening next year. his response "are you nuts?" so it looks like that's one of those nycom rumors.

There is truth to the rumor, which ive been spreading since yesterday. Just ask the fellows. Why, u ask. Well, who cares why, u and i will be done with anatomy by that time so.....but, it MUST happen.......partially cuz the cadavers cost around $1500. But where does our tuition $$ go to, u ask. Well, NYCOM wants to pocket some of that money instead to buy some good ol' stationary with nycom logos all over them so the admission reps can hand them out to prospective students at the nycom open house seminar's (how nice of those bastards). Trust me, this is VERY intricitally planned out and if any of u fellow 1st years try to come in the way, u will be killed (actually, they will only terminate ur super secret #), so beware dam you.

Basha...

You're friggin nuts. The cadavers cost the school next to nothing, you cant sell your body to science, it's donated. Dont believe anything a fellow tells you, the minute you start to think they're more in the know than the chairman of the department tells me you need your head examined. I live with a fellow and he says he's heard nothing of the sort. The mere fact that you said the rest of the anatomy professors says Dr. Hunter a "P*SSY says alot about you and the crap you spew. Please. Grow up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, that was a joke. Sorry if i offended any fans of Dr. Hunter.

Go nycom! go hunter!
the bowtie man cometh!!!
seriously, good school and i love the fact that people are happy here that posted.
and ocean, i havent seen you much on the forums lately...either that or ive been studying too much ...
so welcome back, sort of.

I know who most of the regular posters in second year are...who are you first year guys?

~Brooklyn....they gotta open up a nycom campus here.... im sick of driving 80 miles a day!!!
::collapses into bed:::

I'm really glad to hear that the first year students at NYCOM are having such a great time. There is no doubt that NYCOM has improved quite a bit since I started there in 2001. Wireless internet, streaming video lectures, the landscaping, and the enthusiastic first years. Sounds like a great combo. If things continue the way they seem to be going, NYCOM students will be highly sought after for residencies and fellowships. I've definitely enjoyed my years here.

Also, I like the idea of the SDN NYCOMers gettin together for lunch.

i love our anatomy faculty. i hold a very special place for Dr.Hunter in my heart cause he interviewed me and i thought he would be a big nerd (which he is) but he was super nice. and it's always t\fun trying to crack him up when he comes around in lab. the person i spoke to was dr. solounius.

OMM fellow, i wonder who u are.

He is the man of mystery... continuing the tradition of spending more time at tech/nycom than is humanly possible! (you know what I mean bro)
also , he is currently hiding in rotations somewhere.... which one are you doing?
~Brooklyn...

here's some advice about NYCOM, don't ever hold your breath on hearing from them and definitely don't put off other acceptances for them if you haven't heard from them. They seem to play by their own rules and like to hand out rejection letters in the middle of the following application cycle.

I am also a 1st year at NYCOM. I had heard horror stories about the school, before I applied. I even thought about not interviewing with them! I decided to accept their invitation for an interview just to keep my options open. I thank God everyday that I did! Once I visited NYCOM, I fall in love with it! The students giving us the tour where great and I liked the campus and the staff and the area. After interviewing with them I did some research online and talk to some NJ and NY DOs. They all have a great impression of the NYCOM interns and residents that they've worked with. I'm happy I got accepted and now that I'm in school, I'm loving it even more! NYCOM is a great school. Trust your instincts. Think about what you find most important to determine whether a medical school is good or not. Is it the campus?, the students?, the rotations?, the professors? For me, it is the students. Good students = Good school. NYCOM students are the best, they are always there to help you. The fellows, the TAs, the tutors, the 2nd years, they are always offering their help. And to me, that's what being a doctor is all about: helping others.

I'm going to give you the advise that a PCOM student gave me, when I interview there: " Interview everywhere, see the campus for yourself. As soon as you get to the school ask youself: Would I see myself spending the next 4 years of my life here? " It helped me, I hope it helps you. Good luck!

I'm going to give you the advise that a PCOM student gave me, when I interview there: " Interview everywhere, see the campus for yourself. As soon as you get to the school ask youself: Would I see myself spending the next 4 years of my life here? " It helped me, I hope it helps you. Good luck! [/B]

Very nice advice. Damn, I see myself not just spending the next 4 yrs but my entire life at NYCOM. Just kidding.....or am I !! Trust me, NYCOMs that good. Its the pimp of DO schools. Man, if NYCOM was a girl, the things I would to her.....Ok, Ok, I'll stop.

You will only spend the next 2 years of your life on NYCOM's campus.
All of the hospital affiliations for year 3 and 4 are away from the campus. The closest ones are on Long Island and still a drive.
So ask yourself "Can I see the next 2 years of my life here?" when you visit NYCOM.

You will only spend the next 2 years of your life on NYCOM's campus. All of the hospital affiliations for year 3 and 4 are away from the campus. The closest ones are on Long Island and still a drive.
So ask yourself "Can I see the next 2 years of my life here?" when you visit NYCOM

This is true, to some extent. NYCOM has about 35 total clinical affiliates, probably 75% of which are in the NY metro area. Most are on long island within a 20-30 minute drive of the campus or in queens, brooklyn or one of the other NYC boros. There's a few hospitals in northern NJ and a few upstate, however, you rarely will have to go upstate to rotate unless you want to as the students native to these areas usually request these locations. Most students stay on the island for third and fourth year, although many students choose to move to NYC, and a few choose to go upstate for the year.

thanks for the advice MONCHI, that is very good advice. at first I wanted to stay home in michigan to do med school but I got some different ideas now. I will be applying to nycom as well as some other places. thanks again! I am sold on NYCOM. I am planning to take a visit there in the next year if I am able to get it scheduled, but if not I'll just have to wait til I interview. :D :D

Originally posted by sistahnik
thanks for the advice MONCHI, that is very good advice. at first I wanted to stay home in michigan to do med school but I got some different ideas now. I will be applying to nycom as well as some other places. thanks again! I am sold on NYCOM. I am planning to take a visit there in the next year if I am able to get it scheduled, but if not I'll just have to wait til I interview. :D :D

So, what ru saying my schools not even worth visiting. I'll be looking for u come interview time, just u watch.

whats up with you BASHA? I thought you did attend nycom! I only got that impression b/c you commented on the school, so where do you attend school? I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, didn't mean to!! :) :)