Dec 11, 2009
Status
Can anyone tell me about what a retail grad intern position is/does in general? I've only seen past posts here on salary, not what it is. I'll be graduating pharmacy school from PA in May and don't know much about this position. My understanding is it's a position where you get like 50% of a pharmacist salary, and it's a job where you work for a period of time after graduating pharmacy school when you just have PharmD and you're expected to be licensed within a period of time. The only major chain that talks about it on its website that I found was Target so far, but it doesnt say how long you'd be a grad intern for.

I have some questions
-I heard you can get intern hours for a state with this position if you are short intern hours for licensure, but how many hours can you work maximum to reach this? How long they can keep you at longest?
-we know pharmacist jobs are hard to find, is getting a grad intern position as hard?
-Can you do grad intern in any state when you get PharmD, even if you didn't have an intern license in that state?
-everyone who wants to work in retail chain as pharmacist after graduating has to work as grad intern first, even if they've completed intern hour requirement of state?

Thanks

StellargalS

lollipop! POP!
5+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2013
Beach side Southern California
Status
Pharmacist
A grad intern is a loose term with technical parameters. The duration of the intern license, which you are and have been eligible to apply for (unless you have a police record:nono:) is state specific and dictated in the law.

The cap on the duration of intern lic is to prevent employer exploitation.

What you can do is limited again by law and your position description. You should not perform the duties permissible in any state without securing the intern license in that state. EVEN if the employers wants you too. :smack: Kindly remind him/her that your license is on it's way and in the meantime you would respectfully request the opportunity for continued observation of the licensed pharmacist on duty. This is your responsibility and you will be held accountable should the occasion arise. :slap:

Cannot help with the current PA supply dynamics. Sorry. I left there for warmer pastures long ago. PA has great hoagies and architecture though. :hello:

Old Timer

10+ Year Member
May 16, 2007
Status
Pharmacist
Generally there is no legal position called grad intern. Companies use this designation to define a presently employed intern who has graduated and is eligible to sit for the Naplex. If you have not yet completed enough hours, you are not eligible to sit for the Naplex and therefore can't be a grad intern.

StellargalS

lollipop! POP!
5+ Year Member
Oct 5, 2013
Beach side Southern California
Status
Pharmacist
Important distinction I missed and also did not consider. So basically it means you are a licensed intern with the state and you have completed all of your hours for the NAPLEX eligibility requirement and are somewhere in the process of seeking your registration as a pharmacist with the state.

Since NAPLEX is offered continuously than one could be hired as a grad intern and then sit for the board two days later and then they would be a registered pharmacist. So ultimately I guess it means it is an opening for a brand spanking new pharmacist only? Hmmm. :censored:

Old Timer

10+ Year Member
May 16, 2007
Status
Pharmacist
Important distinction I missed and also did not consider. So basically it means you are a licensed intern with the state and you have completed all of your hours for the NAPLEX eligibility requirement and are somewhere in the process of seeking your registration as a pharmacist with the state.

Since NAPLEX is offered continuously than one could be hired as a grad intern and then sit for the board two days later and then they would be a registered pharmacist. So ultimately I guess it means it is an opening for a brand spanking new pharmacist only? Hmmm. :censored:
There are very few companies that hire grad interns. It's a designation they give their own interns who have graduated and are Board eligible, but have not taken the test yet.