Can AP credits count towards pre-requisites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sillystring

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm new to SDN and would like to ask if anyone knows whether Advanced Placement (AP) credits can be used to fulfill non-science pre-requisites. I've come across two schools that won't allow you to do this (UCLA and BU) and was wondering if this might be the norm. I have taken all my science pre-requisites as a post-bacc, but never took English as an undergrad (had AP credits and ended up getting a Bachelor's in economics, then two non-science Master's degrees). Right now, I'm hoping to complete enough science credits in the upcoming year to earn a second Bachelor's in biology. Unfortunately, I doubt that I would be able to squeeze in a year of English, nor would I want to, as I have written more papers than I would like to remember during my undergrad and grad years. :)

Thanks so much and good luck to those taking the MCAT! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Or, they accept them, but recommend you take advanced courses in the discipline.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, thanks for the info...

Call up the admissions office and talk to a counselor. Sometimes, depending on your record, they will waive certain requirements.

Does the university you are attending at the moment have Clep exams? It's just about the same thing as an AP exam but maybe because it is administered by the university (at least they were at my university) they may be looked at more favorably. Just a thought.

yup and if you pass the clep it goes on the transcript as *X or Y* class NOT clep...it is a great way to knock out some courses...you will just get a PASS for the class though...