Can choose any book, which one should I pick?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MTD52

Class of 2014
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll be starting this fall at dental school. I have been awarded a scholarship at my school and part of it is that I get to choose any book from Wiley.com. Obviously I want something on dentistry, but there are a vast array of different ones. Any good advice on what's the best choice I can make here? I really don't know if I want to specialize, and if so, which it would be. As of right now, I'm leaning towards general dentistry, and if not, Peds or Prostho seem like options, but that could easily change. Thanks a lot for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

The Millionaire Next Door or Stop Acting Rich, if it's available.

Just pick one that you'll be planning on doing in private practice. If you're not planning on specializing, you probably need a good oral surgery (if you plan on extracting teeth), endodontic, prostho (fixed and removable), path and (maybe) an implant book. A general dentistry book is helpful, but a lot of things change.

I took a look on that website and they have some pretty promising things on there..."Clinical Perio and Implant" - Lidhe seems promising, "Manual of Minor Oral Surgery" - Koerner looks really helpful, if you think you'd like to take out teeth. Those would probably be the ones I'd go with, if I had to choose.

I'd try to figure out what you think would help you clinically. Though honestly, from what I saw I don't think the restorative books they offer will be of great value to you.

Hope that helps. Congrats on the scholarship!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sturdevant's "Art and Science of Operative Dentistry".
Lots of good stuff about filling, teeth, biology, and biomaterials. Lots of board questions (I hear) are taken directly from this book.