Can dental school be a reality for me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ernst565

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1.4 GPA at Colorado State University. 45 credits attempted. 30 credits passed.

I am not going to sugar coat my predicament. I was diagnosed with type II ADHD. My parents were strongly against stimulant medication and valued CBT more. High school was not difficult and I scored a 31 on my ACTs. When I graduated from high school in 2006, I was determined to graduate from college and attend dental school. I grew up in Georgia and was determined to leave the state. CSU welcomed me as a freshmen out of state student. I did not realize how overprotective my parents were as soon as I moved out of state. At first, I attended classes and refused to party. My parents had basically said that you are not in college to have fun. I had no social life because all my hall mates were drinking. My parents said that partying was only going to ruin my college career. I felt alone and my grades began to suffer. Because the ADHD was untreated, I began to feel worthless. I was still resistant against trying medication like Adderall. Against my parents best interests, I decided to go out and party one night with my hallmates.

4 semesters later and 35 pounds heavier I woke up from the fantasy i was in. I had a great social life but my GPA was in the tank. My parents forced me to move back to Georgia. I began to take medication for my ADHD and I felt a huge improvement. My mind had never been clearer and I instantly became more organized. During that time, I got certified as an EMT intermediate and graduated from technical college. My parents are lawyers and I always like to joke that I was the first in my family to graduate technical school. Sorry, I had to say that. I moved back to Colorado for one more year. I worked as a medical assistant and a volunteer EMT. It was at this time that I began to realize the importance of an education. I loved helping patients but I wanted to be more involved with patient care. I wanted to have my own practice and treat patients. I began to seriously consider dental school again. I moved back to Georgia to attend community college because of instate tuition and my parents were not going to pay out of state tuition again.

I started community college last semester. I am not planning on taking any Dental pre-req's at community college. I am basically taking core classes again to improve my GPA. While I know English is a prereq for dental school, I am taking it at CC.

The back ground for my question has been established. Next fall, I am going to enroll in either the University of Georgia or Georgia State University. I am going to take all the prereq's for dental school there as well as classes like CALC I and II. I am going to graduate with a B.S. in psychology with a minor in CHEM and BIO. I am interested in biochem, microbio, and A&P. I Essentially...

Do I have a shot at dental school with a high DAT score and high science GPA despite a low GPA because of Colorado State? Even if I were to receive all A's from here on out, my GPA will be like a 3.2 at max. I have worked and volunteered for allied health professions. Thank you all for your input. I apologize for my grammar because I did not proofread this.

Members don't see this ad.

yea i think if you have high DAT, low-mid 3 GPA and a good personal essay you have a good shot at dental schools (especially the private and in-state schools).

Just do the best you can. Good luck.

if you got all A's from now on, it is a GIGANTIC improvement that adcom will be able to see. With a great DAT, you can do it.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah you'd definitely have some stuff to fill in for the "overcoming adversity" section. As long as you do really well from here on out (no pressure lol) and explain your little hiccup than you'd have a chance.

commit yourself to the goals you would like to achieve. keep doing community service. focus on ur school and i think you have a great chance getting in.
go get em

In a lot of schools, soon as you get below a C avg GPA, you get on academic probation. How you manage a 1.x GPA is an amazing feat! Must be a bad counselor.

Anyways -- I was screwing up pretty bad in undergrad too. Instead of partying, I played EverQuest during all my waking hours. I withdrew from an entire semester, failed a class (or two), and other academic problems. But, instead of drowning, I deleted my EQ account, then recovered slowly and still graduated (a yr late).

Then, when I decided I didn't like my job and wanted to start my career in dentistry, I took pre-dent courses, just like what you're planning on doing. I knew I had to excel to get into a dental school. So... I took more classes than advised. I went to office hours every chance I can to get in good with the professors. I became a researcher and published paper. I job shadowed dentists and made them friends.

When it came time to write letters of recommendation, I had 3 core science profs who wrote me glowing letters (biochem, organic chem, and genetics). I had 2 letters from 2 dentists (they let me wrote my own letters, had various ppl edit it to make them even better, then signed/sealed it). My GPA for my pre-dent stint was 4.0. My DAT AA was 24. One of the dentist even tried to help me get interview by calling the admissions office for me since he knew someone there.

After 2 yrs of time and investment into pre-dent, I had several interviews, got accepted into a couple school, and end up going to BU dental. I had a good time studying there. At times, there were a bit of madness here and there. Some hardships that we overcame by smacking pythons together via haka dance. Nonetheless, graduated and now in AEGD.

so... it's very possible to turn yourself around and get in to a school. Just be prepared to study as if your life depends on it because it's a costly investment.