delete

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yankauer

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
delete

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Regarding gen surg interview invites, number of applications, if any questions have been asked on interview trail... If you can include your stats/numbers (even a ballpark), that would be great too.

Thanks!

I’m PMing you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another OMS-III here curious how other OMS-IVs are doing.
Starting to slowly schedule electives and I'm not sure whether to go "AOA/old-AOA" or ACGME.
What are your stats. Also MD programs don’t care about rotations for the most part

Hey,

Comlex 1 = 614, Comlex 2 = 625
USMLE 1 = 234, USMLE 2 = 253
4 letters of rec from surgeons, 3 are from this year (did 5 surgery rotations, on my last one now..probably should have scheduled 4 as interview season is already here)

I disagree that where you rotate does not matter because program directors value strong letters from reputable hospitals. I dont think a mediocre LoR will hurt you, but a strong one certainly boosts you. Even more so if it's from a bigger hospital.
I have 16 ACGME interviews, and I stopped going/rejected AOA interviews once I felt I had enough ACGME invitations (my magic number was around 13..that was number of contiguous ranks the average surgical applicant who matched had from the 2017 NRMP data).

If you want to be a trail blazer or interview at a place that does not have many DOs in their program, I recommend rotating there. Some programs will interview everyone who rotates there as a 4th year (assuming you dont suck). But more importantly, getting a strong letter at the end of the rotation is how to make your ERAS app shine, no matter where your rotation is. I think my strongest one came from DO trauma surgeon so I'm not saying AOA rotations aren't beneficial.
At the end of the day, you need great step scores, first and foremost. After that, need at least 3 LoRs from surgeons. Last but not least, make sure your application is sent to all your programs on Day 0.

Hey,

Comlex 1 = 614, Comlex 2 = 625
USMLE 1 = 234, USMLE 2 = 253
4 letters of rec from surgeons, 3 are from this year (did 5 surgery rotations, on my last one now..probably should have scheduled 4 as interview season is already here)

I disagree that where you rotate does not matter because program directors value strong letters from reputable hospitals. I dont think a mediocre LoR will hurt you, but a strong one certainly boosts you. Even more so if it's from a bigger hospital.
I have 16 ACGME interviews, and I stopped going/rejected AOA interviews once I felt I had enough ACGME invitations (my magic number was around 13..that was number of contiguous ranks the average surgical applicant who matched had from the 2017 NRMP data).

If you want to be a trail blazer or interview at a place that does not have many DOs in their program, I recommend rotating there. Some programs will interview everyone who rotates there as a 4th year (assuming you dont suck). But more importantly, getting a strong letter at the end of the rotation is how to make your ERAS app shine, no matter where your rotation is. I think my strongest one came from DO trauma surgeon so I'm not saying AOA rotations aren't beneficial.
At the end of the day, you need great step scores, first and foremost. After that, need at least 3 LoRs from surgeons. Last but not least, make sure your application is sent to all your programs on Day 0.

Future DO with 15 ACGME General Surgery invites here. Basically similar story as above. USMLE I/II 230s/250s. Applied broadly to about 60 programs regionally (Midwest) and places that take DOs based on current resident rosters online. Can also PM if interested.

Reactions: 2 users
Future DO with 15 ACGME General Surgery invites here. Basically similar story as above. USMLE I/II 230s/250s. Applied broadly to about 60 programs regionally (Midwest) and places that take DOs based on current resident rosters online. Can also PM if interested.

PM'd ya!

OMS-IV
USMLE I/II - >240/>260
Comlex I/II - >700
I applied to about 60 acgme gen surg programs and got about 30 invites. I applied very broadly though, at basically any place I noticed had ever taken a DO, and then at some dream programs for fun (because whats a few extra bucks.) I ended up going on about 20, which was super painful and expensive, but I'm very happy with my Rank list. I can't say how it will end up with match next month but I just wanted to give some hope to DOs out there. I was pretty nervous about the whole process because there are very wide views on this site about a DOs chance of acgme surgery and I guess I won't truly know until after match but again just wanted to give some hope to future DO applicants. Best of luck to everyone! Oh, and I had zero research and it was never mentioned, that was also a stressor of mine.

Reactions: 4 users
Also OMS4 here
USMLE I/II - 230s/240s
Comlex I/II - 550s/700s
Applied to 99 programs (11 AOA/88 ACGME), received 21 invites (8 AOA/13 ACGME), ended up doing 14 interviews (2 AOA/12 ACGME) and the AOA programs I interviewed at are solely participating in the NRMP match so I'm only doing that match. I did 3 sub-Is at all ACGME programs. Honored all surg rotations. Only research is one case report. Applied very broadly with a mix of academic and community and all over the country except the SE. Most interviews were NE (which is also where my school is so that's likely related). Only received one academic interview, the rest were hybrid/community.

I hope this helps anyone hoping to apply ACGME gen surg in the future! Most important factor I would say is taking USMLE and doing well on it! Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
Would love a PM

Members don't see this ad :)
What are your stats. Also MD programs don’t care about rotations for the most part
Would love for you to PM me about your response to Yankauer. I’ll also send you my stats. Thanks!

Would love a PM

Regarding gen surg interview invites, number of applications, if any questions have been asked on interview trail... If you can include your stats/numbers (even a ballpark), that would be great too.

Thanks!
Current OMS IV here- figured I’d chime in.
Stats: 651 COMLEX 1, 237 USMLE 1, 695 COMLEX 2, 252 usmle 2
Our class didn’t send class ranks and can’t recall if I fell in top quartile or 50%ile. Member SSP.
Did 4 away rotations (3 MD, 1 previously DO now doing NRMP only)
Applied to 96 programs (10 DO remainder MD)
Ended up getting around 25 ish interviews (didn’t go on all of them) went on 14 (All only participating NRMP) Did I over apply? Yes. Did I apply to places I knew I didn’t stand a chance? Yes. Would I do it the same all over again so I had the luxury of picking/choosing where to interview? Yea.
My goal is to match gen surg in the southeast which as a DO applicant isn’t an easy feat. My advice don’t be pick when applying even if you want a certain region you gotta be willing to have other options. Out if all my interviews only 6 interviews I got were in SE and 2 I didn’t go on d/t not being interested in the type of program after more research. Any qs PM me! Good luck will update once match day comes!

COMLEX 1/2: 551/683
USMLE STEP 1/2: 232/239
GPA: 3.98
No significant medical research.
I applied to 32 allopathic GS programs (mostly community, and had accepted at least 1 DO or female student during its existence). I received 7 interviews (2 Of which were wait listed). Ranked all 7. I matched today and will find out where on Friday!
Feel free to ask any questions!

COMLEX 1/2: 551/683
USMLE STEP 1/2: 232/239
GPA: 3.98
No significant medical research.
I applied to 32 allopathic GS programs (mostly community, and had accepted at least 1 DO or female student during its existence). I received 7 interviews (2 Of which were wait listed). Ranked all 7. I matched today and will find out where on Friday!
Feel free to ask any questions!
Damn congrats! My app was almost identical (551/702, 233/242), ranked 14 places and I didn’t match -___-

I am so sorry to hear that! I'll be really honest, I was super shocked that I matched. I mean I felt really good about all of my interviews but I didn't feel like I had statistics on my side. If it helps, these are the programs I ranked
Mount Carmel in Columbus Ohio, Saint Elizabeth in Youngstown Ohio, UF Jacksonville, Conemaugh Pennsylvania, New York Presbyterian Queens, Waterbury Connecticut, and Brookwood in Birmingham Alabama

And it'll be alright. Don't lose hope!!

Any luck in the SOAP?
Had interviews with 4 places for a prelim spot (3 I interviewed at for categorical), only got an offer from my core hospital so I accepted it.

Posting for friend:
-Applied only major academic programs
-7 university programs ranked--matched to 7-year research program at number 1 choice
-Stats: 25X/26X. Top 10 class rank. 6 abstracts published (8 by the time rank list due)
-Honored all rotations
-Zero away rotation
-1 strong LOR (from 4th year), 1 avg LOR and third LOR was warm at best (did not say anymore about it)<--- may have been reason hey did not get more interviews.
-Clinical evaluations was excellent.
-Interviews went well. Some questions about being a DO at every program.

He said that the main thing besides stats was having a good solid plan about his future as an academic surgeon.

DO app. 230s/250s USMLE, 600s COMLEX, applied all over but was hoping to stay SE but you take what you can get interview wise
Ranked 15 places (all over the map)
Matched my #1 in SE . I will say I would NOT have matched here if I didnt rotate and have personal recommendations (phone calls) made to the program. Also to make things a little more interesting I was initially rejected from this program (auto rejection i suspect for being DO? all my other classmates who applied here were also rejected) however after my rotation they offered me an interview and low and behold i matched there. all this to say be realistic but dont give up hope and save your reach/#1 programs for your last rotations and kick ass.
GOOD LUCK YALL!

Posting for friend:
-Applied only major academic programs
-7 university programs ranked--matched to 7-year research program at number 1 choice
-Stats: 25X/26X. Top 10 class rank. 6 abstracts published (8 by the time rank list due)
-Honored all rotations
-Zero away rotation
-1 strong LOR (from 4th year), 1 avg LOR and third LOR was warm at best (did not say anymore about it)<--- may have been reason hey did not get more interviews.
-Clinical evaluations was excellent.
-Interviews went well. Some questions about being a DO at every program.

He said that the main thing besides stats was having a good solid plan about his future as an academic surgeon.

While your friend had success, I would recommend only ranking 7 programs has a high risk of not matching.

Looks Like I'm late to the party, but for the future paranoid stat freaks here you go.
USMLE I - 245
USMLE II - 248

COMLEX I - 641
COMLEX II - 615, lol what a joke
COMLEX PE - Pass

class rank: 2nd quartile
Publications: 1
Sub-Is (away rotations): 2 ACGME programs (got 2 excellent academic letters, these were my #1 & 2 on rank list, but did not match there... oh well)
Programs applied to: 135 (ACGME match only, I DID NOT apply AOA)
Interviews offered: 23
Interviews attended: 15

Matched: Categorical at #3 rank

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Looks Like I'm late to the party, but for the future paranoid stat freaks here you go.
USMLE I - 245
USMLE II - 248

COMLEX I - 641
COMLEX II - 615, lol what a joke
COMLEX PE - Pass

class rank: 2nd quartile
Publications: 1
Sub-Is (away rotations): 2 ACGME programs (got 2 excellent academic letters, these were my #1 & 2 on rank list, but did not match there... oh well)
Programs applied to: 135 (ACGME match only, I DID NOT apply ACGME)
Interviews offered: 23
Interviews attended: 15

Matched: Categorical at #3 rank

Congrats dude/dudette! Would you say your high Step 1/2 was an important factor for getting your interview offers or your academic sub-i letters or did you have a strong regional connection? I'm just curious what was the important factor in getting you your interviews in your opinion....

Congrats dude/dudette! Would you say your high Step 1/2 was an important factor for getting your interview offers or your academic sub-i letters or did you have a strong regional connection? I'm just curious what was the important factor in getting you your interviews in your opinion....

Step 1 was definitely what got me on the "will interview list." What I wish I had realized earlier in the interview season is the insane amount of ERAS filters that programs have for narrowing down their interviewees. If i had known this I would have started sending personalized emails to programs much sooner, particularly in the SouthEast. I got 2 extra interviews by emailing program directors, who happened to know one of my letter writers.

As far as getting the good letters.. for sure doing the auditions accomplished that. My home institutions surgery faculty is awful. Our chair has multiple sanctions against him by the governing board. Anyway, when you do auditions you will look dumb for the first few days/weeks. My stats were decent, but I knew my personality, team mindfulness, and attitude would get me a letter. It is possible that I was not ranked as highly on the program's list because I wasn't a "rock star" 4th year compared to their home institution 4th years who know the program, hospital, attendings/residents expectations, and where the supply closet is.

I sat down with my mid-level and chief after my second week to get some mid-rotation feedback to see what I needed to do better. I think the fact that I had the intent to ask for feedback (at an appropriate time) and to be humble enough to listen got their attention. I adjusted my performance as they requested and I noticed a shift in their attitude towards me as a visitor. I am naturally a laid back individual and apparently they wanted me to be more aggressive with teaching/bossing around the 3rd years. I did not expect that nor did I feel like I had earned that right. There is always a steep learning curve with auditions. Overall the team liked me and wrote me a great letter. The chief even got me a personal meeting with the chair to talk about my future career. I got some amazing hands on experience in surgery and met some of the big players in my area which may help me with fellowship one day.

Auditions cut both ways. I got a great letter and met some influential people, but the steep learning curve and competitive nature of the match put me lower on both my audition program's lists. They were both academic stats heavy institutions. My DO buddy who did not audition matched at this particular institution with 250/260. I hope this helps!

does anyone have an excel sheet or can post on here the DO friendly ACGME general surgery programs? or programs that people have gotten interviews at

does anyone have an excel sheet or can post on here the DO friendly ACGME general surgery programs? or programs that people have gotten interviews at

Here are some tables I collaborated on with some surgery applicants. Note that there are TWO spreadsheet tabs. One of them got a little more detailed info on programs I very strongly considered. This Excel sheet will need to be updated for the year and I hope that you share your hard work next season with the classes below you. You are welcome. This took many hours. Also when in doubt just apply to as many programs as you can. As a DO you do not want to be short on your interview list. Again I applied to over 100 and just barely got my interview #'s. Seriously apply to a ton.

Here you go.

Attachments

• surgery residencies.xlsx
    23 KB · Views: 208