Can DO grads sign out of the Allopathic match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimjones

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do DOs have to wait till match day, as MDs, or can they sign before hand like the IMGs can?

Members don't see this ad.

You can sign before the match, but make sure you know what you're getting into. Unless you know the program VERY well, be suspicious of any program that tries to sign you early. Programs sometimes do this because they're afraid of not filling...not a good sign. Think about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Forgive me for repeating anything that has already been stated but I want to make absolutely certain that what is being stated is correct. So what you are saying is that if for example we absolutely stand out at a facility with an ACGME program, the program has the option of signing us to a residency and we will not have to go through any match process? How often does this happen? It sounds great if it's at one of your top choice but I haven't heard of it happning to anyone. Granted, I haven't spoken to many 4th years and one that I have spoken to who is going through the ACGME match doesn't understand what difference is being an independent in the match.

Anyone can sign out of the match. The program directors are allowed to sign a percentage of their incoming positions out the the match, if they so choose. So, you can be a DO, MD, or IMG, it doesn't matter. It happens occasionally, but not that often when you consider the large number of residency positions in the US. If I was asked to sign out of the match with a program I didn't know very well, I'd be skeptical of it's quality. Some programs who ask candidates to sign early usually have problems matching all their spots come March. So be aware.

Anyone can sign out of the match. The program directors are allowed to sign a percentage of their incoming positions out the the match, if they so choose. So, you can be a DO, MD, or IMG, it doesn't matter. It happens occasionally, but not that often when you consider the large number of residency positions in the US. If I was asked to sign out of the match with a program I didn't know very well, I'd be skeptical of it's quality. Some programs who ask candidates to sign early usually have problems matching all their spots come March. So be aware. ••

Really???? I thought LCME MD's could not sign before the match, had to go through the match.

Maybe the information I was provided was incorrect. But, I know of several DO's that have signed out of the match. I would love to hear from a third party about this topic.

ONLY independent applicants can sign out of the match (DOs, FMGs, and POST GRAD MDs). Therefore, some MDs are independent applicants and can sign early (maybe they took time off, or have decided to change specialties). Basically, only seniors at US allopathic schools (the vast majority of applicants) cannot sign early. They are bound by the rules of the match which prevent them from accepting an early offer. Hope this clears up any confusion. :D

Thanks for clearing that up.