Can EM Residents do an ID fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

El Cheba

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can EM Residents do an ID fellowship? I have never heard of anyone doing this before but I thought it was possible. Thanks for your imput

Members don't see this ad.

No. ID fellowships are either IM or peds based, and no one that is not peds-trained can do a peds fellowship, and ABIM has closed the door for anyone not IM-trained to do an IM fellowship, except for family medicine-trained applicants that want to do a geriatrics fellowship.

Can EM Residents do an ID fellowship? I have never heard of anyone doing this before but I thought it was possible. Thanks for your imput

Why would you want to? Most of the knowledge gained from the fellowship would be useless in the ED setting. You won't have time to wait for gram stains, blood cultures, bronchial washings, and sensitivities to initiate treatment. When we suspect infectious disease in the ED, we treat based on history, common organisms, and voodoo. Most of the time we end up using broad spectrum coverage. I think having an ID background would be frustrating.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's just stick to our guns on Critical Care and then go from there.

the only guys that i know who have done this were dual EM/IM trained

Let's just stick to our guns on Critical Care and then go from there.

Is there a united front from one of the EM organizations (e.g., ACEP and AAEM) to get more fellowships opened or approved? Given that the ACEP has had an ultrasound section for so long, I thought ABEM would be in the process of creating a certification program. I've noticed that people on this board have a variety of interests such as CCM and cards that could be fulfilled if ABIM allowed EP's to participate.