Can expired MCAT scores hurt your chances of admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ACBio

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that scores generally expire after 3 years, but that the Adcoms can still see the numbers. So, if they see that I scored badly years ago...can that hurt my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes. Completely depends on the school's policy.

I know that scores generally expire after 3 years, but that the Adcoms can still see the numbers. So, if they see that I scored badly years ago...can that hurt my chances?

Actually, this is news to me. I think that with the new computerized MCATs being offered/graded much more regularly, that the traditional wisdom (3 max MCATs) is falling by the wayside (e.g. you can potentially take unlimited). Admittedly, all scores get reported-but for DO the best section scores make it through and I have to imagine that the MD programs can't ignore a single 35+ no matter the other circumstances. Another scenario might be that the average score is effectively considered-so an older score hurts but is still recoverable.

Call and ask the ADCOMS-but if you are willing to pay the $$$ and can get your study habits down-it should be worth trying to expunge a bad score through effort (esp. if that score is expired)

Members don't see this ad :)
One old score probably won't hurt too much as long as you follow it up with a good current score. If you have a bunch of bad old scores that might be a problem.

Generally I'd say don't take the MCAT until you are scoring consistently well on the practice exams.

If you do well on your second MCAT, you'll be fine. Yeah they can see it and judge on it, but they'll also recognize that you've really improved your knowledge and dedication since then. That shows some maturity. If you do poorly on a particular section a second time, however, that might hurt you. Make sure you've really improved any weaknesses from before.

I also disagree about the 3 MCAT guideline no longer being relevant. Lizzy M in the pre-allo forum explained it that they will give you a mulligan on the first MCAT and possibly the second (you could be a bad test-taker, not have your life in order at the time, gotten unlucky, etc.). If you haven't, however, shown improvement by the 3rd MCAT, then that shows lack of maturity and preparedness, even if you do eventually get it right.

One old score probably won't hurt too much as long as you follow it up with a good current score. If you have a bunch of bad old scores that might be a problem.

Generally I'd say don't take the MCAT until you are scoring consistently well on the practice exams.
Agree with this advice.

OP, old MCAT scores never go away; my first scores from 1996 showed up when I applied a decade later. So yes, the adcoms will definitely see them. However, if you have recent scores that are competitive (30+), no one will probably care about your first set of scores. The one thing you really want to avoid is doing worse now than you did then. This is a real issue for nontrads; if you look at the AAMC data from previous test administrations, you can see that the generation gap is pretty substantial. Make sure that you are consistently scoring well on your practice tests before you attempt the real deal. :luck: to you. :)

My $0.02 has been slightly twisted. Yes, I agree it's insane to try MCAT more than once since it raises more questions than answers. However...

1.) MCATs expire. We should all agree that that dictates OP retake so as to make sure that ADCOMs do not throw out app prematurely. OP should retake MCAT no later than Apr. of intended app. cycle.

2.) DO schools take highest sectionals. Since DO schools are friendlier towards non-trads, it might be worth shoring up a weak section (if not a weak test)

3.) It is insane NOT to practice for a MCAT if for no other reason so as not to waste a day and $100. One should practice during studying until a comfortable 30+ reproducibility (see below)

4.) A sub 30 MCAT might not make the interview gate. The OP needs to get this score no matter what (guaranteeing a retake)

That said-treat all your app. with care so as to put it in the best light.

Good luck!

Agree with this advice.

OP, old MCAT scores never go away; my first scores from 1996 showed up when I applied a decade later. So yes, the adcoms will definitely see them. However, if you have recent scores that are competitive (30+), no one will probably care about your first set of scores. The one thing you really want to avoid is doing worse now than you did then. This is a real issue for nontrads; if you look at the AAMC data from previous test administrations, you can see that the generation gap is pretty substantial. Make sure that you are consistently scoring well on your practice tests before you attempt the real deal. :luck: to you. :)

Q, just curious. What do you mean that "the generation gap is substantial"?

Do mean that the scores have just increased for accepted applicants?

My $0.02 has been slightly twisted. Yes, I agree it's insane to try MCAT more than once since it raises more questions than answers. However...

1.) MCATs expire. We should all agree that that dictates OP retake so as to make sure that ADCOMs do not throw out app prematurely. OP should retake MCAT no later than Apr. of intended app. cycle.

2.) DO schools take highest sectionals. Since DO schools are friendlier towards non-trads, it might be worth shoring up a weak section (if not a weak test)

3.) It is insane NOT to practice for a MCAT if for no other reason so as not to waste a day and $100. One should practice during studying until a comfortable 30+ reproducibility (see below)

4.) A sub 30 MCAT might not make the interview gate. The OP needs to get this score no matter what (guaranteeing a retake)

That said-treat all your app. with care so as to put it in the best light.

Good luck!

I don't know if it's true that DO's schools take the highest score in each section......maybe some schools, but not all.

Q, just curious. What do you mean that "the generation gap is substantial"?

Do mean that the scores have just increased for accepted applicants?
No, I mean that testtakers under age 20 score significantly higher on the MCAT than testtakers over age 31, on average. The AAMC shows a breakdown by age groups with a consistent downward trend as the ages get older. The most recent examinee data is from 2005, but this has been the consistent trend for the past several years. If you look at the 2005 data, you will see that the average score for people over age 31 is a 22, while the average for people under age 20 is a 27. That's a huge difference. I have seen some people interview at my school with 27s, but no one has interviewed here with a 22, not even a legacy student.

That being said, I don't mean to suggest that nontrads *can't* do well on the MCAT. The OP should just be aware of that trend and not take shortcuts with prepping for this test, particularly if s/he has been out of school for some time and is not in the groove with studying for multiple choice exams. Life experience and wisdom isn't going to compensate for being a savvier testtaker in most cases. :)

That being said, I don't mean to suggest that nontrads *can't* do well on the MCAT.

I think that score differential is probably reflective of a few unfortunate facts (1) most traditionals have just had the classes, while some nontrads probably think they remember stuff better than they really did, (2) a lot of the over 30 crowd weren't numerically competitive for med school in undergrad, but feel like maybe a decade of non-academic accomplishments now gives them a hook. So they take the MCAT and don't do well (again), (3) because of advanced age and a feeling they are getting a late start, a lot of nontrads tend to rush things, and often take the MCAT before they are ready, (4) some folks over 30 have jobs and families and other major distractors that can inhibit a high test score, and (5) there is probably more winging it, taking a stab -- ie the teacher/nurse/accountant who figures they will take the MCAT on the sly and if they do well enough they will quit their job and go to med school.

But there are plenty of nontrads in this group that do quite well, and those are the ones who end up in med school. If you want it, you can make it happen.
As for the OP's question, yes an old MCAT will be seen and may raise a few eyebrows. A good score will mostly supplant it, but you may still lose on "tie-breakers" against similar applicants without that old track record. Just make sure you don't have to take it more times.

I think that score differential is probably reflective of a few unfortunate facts (1) most traditionals have just had the classes, while some nontrads probably think they remember stuff better than they really did, (2) a lot of the over 30 crowd weren't numerically competitive for med school in undergrad, but feel like maybe a decade of non-academic accomplishments now gives them a hook. So they take the MCAT and don't do well (again), (3) because of advanced age and a feeling they are getting a late start, a lot of nontrads tend to rush things, and often take the MCAT before they are ready, (4) some folks over 30 have jobs and families and other major distractors that can inhibit a high test score, and (5) there is probably more winging it, taking a stab -- ie the teacher/nurse/accountant who figures they will take the MCAT on the sly and if they do well enough they will quit their job and go to med school.
Agree that any or all of these can explain the score differences between the age groups. This just emphasizes why it's so important for nontrads to be aware of the factors potentially working against them so that they can avoid falling into these traps. I wound up waiting an extra year to apply myself in order to ensure that I'd be as competitive as I possibly could be, and I still believe it was a very wise choice. :)

honestly for me as a post-bacc student and taking the pre-req's within a year and a half, i can see why younger traditional bio majors do well. Especially with bio classes, you're beaten the same concepts for 4 years with each class giving you a little more. So a traditional student with 4 years of bio/chem/etc will just have more baseline knowledge affirmed with x amount of classes.

I see.

Hmmm. Well I hope yall are correct. Of course I can't quite dismiss the nagging thought that...maybe my noodle just don't work like it used to. It also occurs to me eerily that my previous EC's will not help me compensate in this regard.

Of course I can't quite dismiss the nagging thought that...maybe my noodle just don't work like it used to.

Hate to break this to you, but this will probably be a lingering doubt every time you come up short on something from here on out. All I can tell you is that there isn't much science supporting that view -- you actually can teach an old dog new tricks. :)