Can family physicians do clinical research or other research outside of family medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedstud101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m contending with going for FM or IM. I like general practice and want to open my own clinic, I enjoy the calm environment of a clinic and don’t like hospitals, but I also want to participate in clinical research. This sounds like a mix of FM and IM so I’m not sure how to choose! Can someone please help me?

Also, can family physicians do or be a part of clinical research or other research outside of family medicine?

I am interested in clinical research but I also like the lifestyle of family medicine. So, I just wanted to see if it's possible to do both? and how?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’m contending with going for FM or IM. I like general practice and want to open my own clinic, I enjoy the calm environment of a clinic and don’t like hospitals, but I also want to participate in clinical research. This sounds like a mix of FM and IM so I’m not sure how to choose! Can someone please help me?

Also, can family physicians do or be a part of clinical research or other research outside of family medicine?

I am interested in clinical research but I also like the lifestyle of family medicine. So, I just wanted to see if it's possible to do both? and how?
I can't speak to FM or IM, but I know of several Med/Peds and Peds general practice physician-scientists with NIH funding. They do population based clinical trials on obesity or big data analysis.