Can get into dental school with a 3.2 science gpa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I Apply to dental school?

• Apply with your current stats

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Enroll in a postbacc program

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

Layth ka

Reaction score
Hello every one,

So I'm going through hard time deciding whether I should go to a postbacc program or not. I want to get into a dental school, but my gpa is not as high as I'd like it to be. Here are my stats

Major: Biology

Minor: Psychology

Overall gpa: 3.4

science gpa: 3.2

Dental experience: 1500+ hrs assisting a dentist and an orthodontist, as a paid job.

Volunteer: 100+ hrs at a hospital

Research: assistant for almost a year,

I started off terribly at a community college where I did bad in my prerequisites and had to retake some of them, got an associate degree. Then transferred to a 4 year university where I did a lot better, with a good upward trend in my grades. I still have to take my dat which I will kill to do good on.

My question is, should I enroll in a postbacc program to enhance my gpa, or do I have a shot with my stats?

Thank you,

Members don't see this ad.

Did you take the dat exam? If so, what’s your score? Most applicants typically balance out a low gpa with a high dat score

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No bets until an official DAT is posted, but I would still look at my postbac options (maybe not SMP so much).
From what I heard, I should take the DAT first and see how I do. If I don't do as good as I want then I try to get into a postbacc program. But the thing is alot of people are telling me that postbacc are good for career changers, not to enhance gpa. Is that correct or do you recommend a postbacc for my case?

Hello every one,

So I'm going through hard time deciding whether I should go to a postbacc program or not. I want to get into a dental school, but my gpa is not as high as I'd like it to be. Here are my stats

Major: Biology

Minor: Psychology

Overall gpa: 3.4

science gpa: 3.2

Dental experience: 1500+ hrs assisting a dentist and an orthodontist, as a paid job.

Volunteer: 100+ hrs at a hospital

Research: assistant for almost a year,

I started off terribly at a community college where I did bad in my prerequisites and had to retake some of them, got an associate degree. Then transferred to a 4 year university where I did a lot better, with a good upward trend in my grades. I still have to take my dat which I will kill to do good on.

My question is, should I enroll in a postbacc program to enhance my gpa, or do I have a shot with my stats?

Thank you,
From what I heard, I should take the DAT first and see how I do. If I don't do as good as I want then I try to get into a postbacc program. But the thing is alot of people are telling me that postbacc are good for career changers, not to enhance gpa. Is that correct or do you recommend a postbacc for my case?
GPA isn't terrible but if you get a good DAT score (21-22+, no scores below 20), you shouldn't worry. In your case, a postbacc would be better than a Masters, since Masters programs are really for those with extremely low GPAs (close to or lower than 3.0) or for career changers, both to show they can handle a rigorous science curriculum. Your GPAs aren't a death sentence, but raising them via a postbacc would be the smarter and more economical option. I'd put more of your energy toward doing extremely well on the DAT (everyone says they're going to, very few deliver-- study well and study hard).

GPA isn't terrible but if you get a good DAT score (21-22+, no scores below 20), you shouldn't worry. In your case, a postbacc would be better than a Masters, since Masters programs are really for those with extremely low GPAs (close to or lower than 3.0) or for career changers, both to show they can handle a rigorous science curriculum. Your GPAs aren't a death sentence, but raising them via a postbacc would be the smarter and more economical option. I'd put more of your energy toward doing extremely well on the DAT (everyone says they're going to, very few deliver-- study well and study hard).
Thank you for taking the time to read and respond, from you and many other people taking the DAT and doing extremely well is my best option.