can harassing the admissions office diminish your chance at acceptance?

gbiz

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2004
MI
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Doesnt sound as if it would help!

NotShorty

~Mr. Bright Side~
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 8, 2003
The tip of America's wang
Visit site
Status
Not if you've already been rejected. Although it burns the bridge for next year.

Is this a serious question, or are you as bored as me? :confused:

NS

Sparky Man

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2004
Status
Medical Student
limbo said:
anyone have any insight on this?
well, harrassing them sounds bad. at the same time, you don't want to fall through the cracks!

OP
L

limbo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2005
Status
yes very bored and anxious. but really, some people on the forums said that for schools like UIC and NYMC who havent updated the status pages since jesus was a boy, it might be good to call them and flat out ask if you are getting interviewed. so when i say harass, i exaggerate, perhaps inquire is a better choice of word. of course harassing them by calling and emailing every 5 seconds would not be a wise decision, duh.

MNgrrl

15+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2003
Seattle, WA
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
For the most part, the people answering the phones in the admissions offices are NOT the same people that ultimately make a decision on your application. So, you may not make best friends with the admissions staff, but unless you are rude, it won't hurt you, but it might help to show your enthusiasm.

chitown82

10+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
At one of the interviews I was at, the secretary told me every year he begins to recognize certain people's voices (people who call regularly to inquire about status checks) and that if they are particularly annoying, rude, or obnoxious, he lets the Director of Admissions know. I bet these people don't go far at that particular school.

Law2Doc

5K+ Member
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2004
Status
Attending Physician
MNgrrl said:
For the most part, the people answering the phones in the admissions offices are NOT the same people that ultimately make a decision on your application. So, you may not make best friends with the admissions staff, but unless you are rude, it won't hurt you, but it might help to show your enthusiasm.
The people who answer the phones certainly do a lot of the filing, and could probably "accidently" misplace your file if you really really annoyed them. Not that they would ever do that... :rolleyes:

fotolilith

It's for a good cause
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 14, 2004
Mittelschmerz, USA
Status
RunMimi said:
YES! I was standing in an admissions office once during an interview and someone called the secretary. She sighed and said, these kids just don't understand all the information is online. I replied, well actually, I think they do, they just want to see if they can get any more information by calling. We continued chatting and she told me every year there are one or two really obnoxious folks that she writes down as such and are removed from consideration for the admissions. So I think you have to be spectacularly obnoxious, but yes I imagine it happens every year at nearly every school.
Yeah, you never tick off the administrative assistants... they can go out of their way to alert the adcoms of "immature" applicants. I was very nice to the admin assistants at my school. :D

GuyLaroche

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2005
Status
Long ago when I was young and foolish, I got really impatient with an MIT admissions secretary because I couldn't get an update on my application and she was very saucy and rude. She replied: "you're very rude, and I don't think you'll get in." I received a rejection letter three days afterwards.