can high school student be a pharmacy technician?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jungjh9001

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm high school student..

and I really hope I can go to pharmacy school..

can I become a pharmacy technician?

I know there is a test to take.. but other than that..

I'm not sure if I have be a college student or older to be a pharmacy

technician..

Members don't see this ad.

It's all going to depend on laws that your state has. I Would suggest calling state pharmacy board.

some retail places here won't hire below 20 y/o. You'd have to check with the specific position and employer.

Members don't see this ad :)

technician..

The easiest way to become a licensed pharmacy tech is to take the PTCE (Pharmacy Technician Certification Exam).

Passing PTCE means you are a nationally certified tech. You'll get a certificate in mail a month after you take the exam.

In the state of California, you can apply for pharmacy technician license by sending California Board of Pharmacy a copy of your PTCB (pharmacy Technician Certification Board) certificate, finger prints, and an application fee.

To take the PTCE, you would need to have your GED or High School Diploma(its one of the requirements).

The loophole here is, when I applied to take the exam 3 years ago, I was not required to send in a copy of my high school diploma. Other than age, I don't see how PTCB can check if a person got his or her HS diploma.

Perhpas the rules have changed.

Please check PTCB's website for new rules and regulations

www.ptcb.org

In OK, you have to have a high school diploma before the state board will give you a tech license. You need to check with your states board of pharmacy to see what their requirements are.

Like others have said it depends on the state. In Illinois, a 16/17 yo can become a tech. However, there is this new requirement that requires techs to become certified 2 years after receiving their license. The only exam which currently meets the requires is the PTCE, and they require a high school diploma/GED.

Like everyone else said, it does depend on the state you live in. I became a tech for an independent pharmacy at 16 and took the PTCE a year later.

In california you need a high school diploma and you must also be 18 years old. I started working in a pharmacy when I was 16 and i graduated high school at 17. I had to wait till my 18th birthday to get my license.

It depends not only on your state laws and regulations but also the company you are looking at working for. My employer appears to prefer older people, they require someone to be 18 at least but I'm the youngest and I'm almost 24. That's at my actual store, I can't vouch for the other locations they have.

technician..
no
usually 18 and above