Can hospitalists have a clinic practice also?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carpe diem

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I enjoy primary care and the hospital environment, hence my interest in becoming a hospitalist, but also like the thought of seeing and following my own patients, maybe two days a week in clinic??? Is a situation like this doable????

Members don't see this ad.

Many hospitalists do have their own primary care clinic, particularly those that just completed residency and are interested in keeping up to date with their outpatient skills while they figure out what they want to do. As a resident, you are essentially a hospitalist for many of your general rotations, and they all have clinic at least one day per week. Hospitalists who work in large groups can have pretty flexible schedules, allowing them to do whatever they want to do with their extra time too.

THis one hospital I rotated at had a group of hospitalists who were on 1 week and off entirely the next. Not a bad gig for early docs starting out trying to figure out what they were going to do with their lives.

On off weeks, some just relaxed. Most though, had urgent care gigs around town and so continued to work while also being salaried as a hospitalist.

Great and easy way to pay back loans without the hassle of trying to set up your own office or something.