Can HPSP do as many military clerkships as we want?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2LT DO

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that in order to get accepted into many of the most competitive residencies (ortho, derm, ENT), most programs see it as a positive if you do a clinical rotation at their facility during your 3rd or 4th year.

My question is, do HPSP students have the opportunity to do as many clinical rotations at the military facilities as we want? For example, during my 3rd year can I do a FP rotation at Walter Reed, followed by an Ortho rotation at Tripler and a Peds rotation at one of the other hospitals? Or are we limited only to the ADT required each Summer?

Thanks for the help.

Also, does anyone know the average USMLE or COMLEX scores for the Ortho residency programs at each of the ARMY hospitals? And what else, besides test scores and class rank, do the ortho military programs look for in a candidate?

Members don't see this ad.

2LT DO said:
I know that in order to get accepted into many of the most competitive residencies (ortho, derm, ENT), most programs see it as a positive if you do a clinical rotation at their facility during your 3rd or 4th year.

My question is, do HPSP students have the opportunity to do as many clinical rotations at the military facilities as we want? For example, during my 3rd year can I do a FP rotation at Walter Reed, followed by an Ortho rotation at Tripler and a Peds rotation at one of the other hospitals? Or are we limited only to the ADT required each Summer?

Thanks for the help.

Also, does anyone know the average USMLE or COMLEX scores for the Ortho residency programs at each of the ARMY hospitals? And what else, besides test scores and class rank, do the ortho military programs look for in a candidate?

I think it depends on how flexible your school is. I don't think HPSP cares where you do your rotations (but I can only speak for the USAF).

2LT DO said:

Thanks for the help....

Yes, you can do as much as you like, but just keep in mind that you only get 4 paid ADT's, 3 once OBC is over. The rest you will have to pay on your own. And LECOM (I think you're going to LECOM) will let you do as many rotations as you like. They consider any military rotation a LECOM affiliate, so you should have no problems. Just be courteous enough to be nice and give them a decent amount of heads up, and they really do go out of their way to accomodate military students. They let me do 2 my MSIII year and 4 my MSIV year. They're even letting me use my last elective to do the Flight Surgeon course right now.
If you are lucky enough to have somewhere live close to a MEDCEN you can just do non-ADT rotations. In a sense, you are a civilian doing a rotation, and you will need to establish a Memorandum of Agreement/Understanding between the hospital and the school. You don't have to worry about that with LECOM because they have a lot of those MOUs already from prior students. I did that for 3 of my rotations at Reed. Another suggestion is to share your ADTs with your classmates. That way you get to go to a lot a places for minimal prices because you don't have to pay for housing anywhere, just the plane ticket out, food, and expenses for fun. That's what I did with my friends when i went out to Madigan and we had awesome time. Or if you have nice alumni from your school, maybe they'll let you stay with them for free...in other words, when the time comes, let me know.
Just talk to the military club people when you get there, I'll try to leave my info with them.

Good luck trying to schedule the rotations. Some of those people are the laziest people you will ever encounter. Although I had an amazingly easy time scheduling my rotations with the Peds coordinator at WReed/Bethesda. She was fantastic.
And you should try to save you ADTs for very late third year into your fourth.

You'll have a lot of help at LECOM, so don't worry. It's full of prior service/ROTC/Academy people.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, does anyone know the average USMLE or COMLEX scores for the Ortho and EM residency programs at each of the ARMY hospitals? And what else, besides test scores and class rank, do the ortho and EM military programs look for in a candidate?

dtn3t said:
Yes, you can do as much as you like, but just keep in mind that you only get 4 paid ADT's, 3 once OBC is over.
Is this true regardless of how many year's scholarship you take? For instance, if I'm taking a 2 year HPSP, can I still do 4 paid ADT's after OBC?

notdeadyet said:
Is this true regardless of how many year's scholarship you take? For instance, if I'm taking a 2 year HPSP, can I still do 4 paid ADT's after OBC?

I don't think so. If I remember correctly, I believe that you're allowed one ADT per year sponsored by the scholarship.