Can I, a CC student transfer to UCLA with these intentions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SnYpaJY

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm from Atlanta GA, and I moved to Los Angeles 3 months ago. I'm going to Pierce College right now, trying to gain in state residence for tuition purposes.

I would REALLY like to transfer to UCLA after I finish my prereqs and IGETC. I would like to major in Physiological Science (Life Science) at UCLA. I am in the honors program as well, so that I could possibly have a better chance of transferring.

Here are the course equivalences for Pierce to UCLA

Pierce/UCLA

Bio 6, 7=LS 1, 2

Bio 6, 7, 40=LS 3

Bio 46 =LS 4

Chem 101=Chem 20A, 20L

Chem 101, 102=Chem 20A, 20L, 20B, 30AL

Chem 211=Chem 30A, 30BL

Chem 211, 212Chem= 30A, 30B/BL (30C/CL)

Chem 221=Chem 30B, 153A, 153L

Math 261, 262=Math 31A, 31B, 32A

Physics 66, 67=Physics 6ABC

So far, I have been very unlucky when it comes to class scheduling. Due to moving so late into the summer as well as not taking the placement exams for math, English, and chemistry soon enough, I was unable to sign up for the classes I wanted. I did manage to get some vital classes by just coming to class and adding on.

For Fall 2007 (current semester)- Total of 8 units
Chem 101 with lab- 5 units
Honors Cinema 107- 3 units

I am fortunate enough to have 9 units of IGETC completed through several AP classes, such as US History, World History, and Psychology. Transferring in two years is my goal, and I'm not too certain if it can be done.

I plan on finishing IGETC, the honors program, and almost ALL of my prereqs before transferring. My schedule of classes until I transfer will look like this (bare with me, its pretty long)

Winter 2008 Total of 3 units
English 101- 3 units

Spring 2008 TOTAL of 18 units
Math 261- 5 units
Bio 6- 5 units
Chem 102-5 units
Honors Philosophy-3 units

Summer 2008- Total of 8 units
Math 262- 5 units
English 102- 3 Units

Fall 2008- Total of 18 units
Physics 66- 5 units
Bio 7- 5 units
Chem 211- 5 units
Honors (not sure which one)- 3 units

Winter 2009- Total of 3 units
Bio 40- 3 units

Spring 2009 - Total of 16 units
Bio 46- 3 units
Chem 212- 5 units
Physics 67- 5 units
Honors (not sure which one)- 3 units

Summer 2009
Studying for the MCAT - (taking it right after the summer if possible)

Fall 2009
Transfer to UCLA!!! HORRAYY!!!

Please let me know if you know anyone who has done this or is planning on doing my schedule. For right now, I am trying my hardest to understand everything I learn to the best of my ability. I know that most of the material that I will be learning in the next year and half will help me with the MCAT.

I know it's pretty early to make this goal, but I would like to transfer to UCLA undergrad, and then hopefully try to get into UCLA Med school. I just moved to this city, I don't really want to move out of Los Angeles in the next 4 years. UCLA Med is extremely hard to get into, so all of what I'm doing as of the moment will help me get in.

Some of the questions that I have regarding med school include,

-Will the pierce college classes that I am taking qualify for UCLA Med prereqs?

- Will taking the amount of classes at pierce prior to transfer look bad to med schools in general? I could possibly take physics ABC after I transfer, but my chances of getting into UCLA undergrad are better if I take the physics series before I transfer; plus it will get me prepared by that summer so that I can study for the mcat.

-Are taking this many units at pierce each semester a good idea? Will I be able to keep my GPA high enough to transfer as well as look good for Med School?

Those are my general questions, but feel free to critique my schedule and to let me know what you dislike or feel as if would hurt or become a disadvantage to me in the long run.

I've heard that UCLA's tough on GPA for the first two years especially with the bell curve. So I imagine taking all, or most of my prereqs before I transfer would give me a slight advantage GPA wise as well as financially.

Thanks for your time, I really appreciate anyone who had the time and commitment to read this huge thread of my college dilemma.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure how hard the classes are at a community college, but make sure you finish all your bio, chem, and physics before you transfer to UCLA and make sure you do good in them too.

Physiological Science is a hard major so you might change your mind once you get in.

I have spoke to a UCLA med school adcom, and they told me that it doesnt matter if you take classes at a community college, but you cant let your grades drop once you start at your 4 year university because it will show that you may be able to handle community college level classes easily, but cant handle the harder university level classes.

Good luck, hope you get in :thumbup: