Can I add/update my ERAS application once it has already been submitted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmitrinyr

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Basically, I'm a reapplicant via ERAS and have just started a job that I want to add on my CV part of the ERAS application. I submitted my application on september 2nd. Is there a way that I can add this information and have the programs get the updated ERAS app or once you submit an app you cannot update? I really want the programs to see that I have this job and so I want to have a way to tell them. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Basically, I'm a reapplicant via ERAS and have just started a job that I want to add on my CV part of the ERAS application. I submitted my application on september 2nd. Is there a way that I can add this information and have the programs get the updated ERAS app or once you submit an app you cannot update? I really want the programs to see that I have this job and so I want to have a way to tell them. Thanks.

In short -- no.

You can add, however, LORs, personal statements, new transcripts,etc..

Sadly you cannot update anything in the common app portion once you've submitted.

You can update other parts, as mentioned by theunderdog. Anything under your "Account" can also be updated and will be reflected when the programs redownload applicants daily or however often depending on their schedule.

The only thing you can do at this point, if you really think this one job will make a difference, you could send a message to the program contact and he/she could print this out and stick it in your file... but unless it's uber important, I don't think you should do that because they might get annoyed....

Good luck during this application process!

Sadly you cannot update anything in the common app portion once you've submitted.

You can update other parts, as mentioned by theunderdog. Anything under your "Account" can also be updated and will be reflected when the programs redownload applicants daily or however often depending on their schedule.

The only thing you can do at this point, if you really think this one job will make a difference, you could send a message to the program contact and he/she could print this out and stick it in your file... but unless it's uber important, I don't think you should do that because they might get annoyed....

Good luck during this application process!

I'm a reapplicant and currently not in residency (I finished 1 year of IM prelim year). I got this job in the past few weeks and so definitely after I submitted my app. Without this job on my app, it kind of seems like I am not doing anything with my time. I am applying for EM and have obtained a job teaching a paramedic course in a local college. I love teaching and have an interest in EMS. Still, if you look at my app now, you don't see it and so I might not be worth looking at without this info.

I want to inform programs of this update but definitely don't want to annoy them. What's the harm in sending an email saying that: "My name is dmitrinyr, I'm applying for a position in EM at your program, I would like to give you an update on my work status as I think it's important and occured after my ERAS application was submitted. I have obtained a job teaching a paramedic course in a local college. I love teaching and have an interest in EMS. I am dedicated towards obtaining a residency position in EM and would love an opportunity to interview at your program. Thank you and have a nice day."

I'm just not sure how to phrase it as I don't want to be too forward as I'm volunteering my information and think it's important but don't want to tell them what to do and that "you must look at this".

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

To be completely honest, Dimitry, I would not send the program an email. It may hurt or help you -- nobody knows. It can help you in that that residency program may value your experience. But it can hurt you in that the devil's advocate would question it -- if this experience was so impt, why didn't the applicant put it in his/her app the first time? or why did he/she not wait to include it in the app before submitting? once the devil advocate figures out that you mistakenly thought you could edit your CV after submission, then that would look bad on your part because it would reflect a hint of carelessness.
just giving you perspectives on both sides.

the reason why i would not send the program an email is beacuse in EM, they are more likely to select you for an interview likely due to other things on your app (Grades, scores, etc) rather than based on one particular experience that you have. if like one paragraph of your PS was missing, that is something that you need to email programs about, even though that would still show carelessnes on your self.

don't panic about interview invites yet. most go out in the 1st week of november. i know it gives you an uneasy feeling of knowing that you applied without having a "complete" application, but unfortunately, i think that's the best way to approach this. i don't think that experience can make or break you for the invite, but after the interview, it may help you during the ranking process; but again, once you get the interview, mention this experience there and that will be factored in.

To be completely honest, Dimitry, I would not send the program an email. It may hurt or help you -- nobody knows. It can help you in that that residency program may value your experience. But it can hurt you in that the devil's advocate would question it -- if this experience was so impt, why didn't the applicant put it in his/her app the first time? or why did he/she not wait to include it in the app before submitting? once the devil advocate figures out that you mistakenly thought you could edit your CV after submission, then that would look bad on your part because it would reflect a hint of carelessness.
just giving you perspectives on both sides.

the reason why i would not send the program an email is beacuse in EM, they are more likely to select you for an interview likely due to other things on your app (Grades, scores, etc) rather than based on one particular experience that you have. if like one paragraph of your PS was missing, that is something that you need to email programs about, even though that would still show carelessnes on your self.

don't panic about interview invites yet. most go out in the 1st week of november. i know it gives you an uneasy feeling of knowing that you applied without having a "complete" application, but unfortunately, i think that's the best way to approach this. i don't think that experience can make or break you for the invite, but after the interview, it may help you during the ranking process; but again, once you get the interview, mention this experience there and that will be factored in.

thanks for the reply theunderdog. I will mention this experience for sure on my interviews as they will ask what I'm doing now as I'm not working as a resident and because I want them to know this experience as it shows my committment and dedication to the field of EM and my desire to be an EM resident. The issue is that, given that I'm a reapplicant, my numbers weren't great enough to get me a lot of interviews (i had 6 last year) and so I didn't match. So, this year, I need something ELSE to get me an interview and something else to get me noticed. I think this experience is something that might make me stand out or the very least might make a PD look at my application and consider me if he/she is not that impressed with my scores.

I guess if I do send an email, I can mention that I obtained the job after the CV can be updated to decrease the chances of them thinking that I forgot to include this originally. Still, I'll wait until after the 1st week of November and see if I get interview invites. Last year at this time I had 2 invites and wanted at least one right now to feel a bit more confident. We'll see what happens.

Dimitry, if you don't mind me asking, why do you think you didn't match last year?

Did you apply to the magic number of programs, or was there something on your app that made you less competitive?

Dimitry, if you don't mind me asking, why do you think you didn't match last year?

Did you apply to the magic number of programs, or was there something on your app that made you less competitive?

check your inbox, I sent you a PM.

ugh it just hit me that the 1000s of hours i volunteered doing EMS prior to medical school i forgot to report!!! important enough to email out about? i'm applying for internal medicine and did manage to put in paid EMT svc, but still I feel horrible that I didn't report all the blood, sweat, and tears...!!!