Medical Can I appeal a dismissal from a BS/MD program after finding out about an undiagnosed health issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was dismissed from a BS/MD program after being unable to meet their semesterly GPA requirement of 3.5 twice. In the second attempt, I had earned a 3.41, but I had a 4.0 up until the week before finals. I couldn't sleep, and I was unable to study/retain because of it. And I ended up bombing my finals and getting kicked out.

I have ADHD and was on medication for it. But my psychiatrist was arrested a while earlier, and I couldn't find a new one because any provider with my insurance was booked. So I couldn't even get help when I stopped sleeping.

But now, after taking a few months off school after being dismissed, I found out that I have an atrial septal defect, which will require open heart surgery to repair. But interestingly, it may have been causing my concentration problems in school all along, because I always had low spO2 levels, and the doctors never knew why. So I might not have even had ADHD. And it's just the congenital heart problem causing the issues all along. I dont exhibit any ADHD symptoms other than the poor concentration.

I really don't want to be cut from the program because of a heart problem that wasn't my fault. Those ADHD meds I was on were the reason I couldn't sleep, and if I hadn't been taking them, I would've been fine. Moreover, two doctors where I live missed the heart defect, so I had to go to NYC to get a third opinion (after getting dismissed), where they eventually found the hole. So had the doctors caught this earlier, I would've left school before the end of the semester to get the surgery. I'm really mad that I'm just now finding this out, and I don't know what to do.

Would I be able to appeal my dismissal to the promotions committee at the medical school and explain what happened, especially if I got a physician letter to support this? From their point of view, would this be a valid reason to allow me back into the program?
Very sorry to hear of all your troubles .

At this point, all you can do is try, because the worst thing they'll say is "no".

Members don't see this ad.

I'd imagine that unless the issue is fixed and backed by a physician as the likely cause, as well as a psychiatrist stating that you don't have ADHD, they may see some risk with readmitting. If you get the surgery and have the backing, I think it's potentially possible, but I'd imagine it would have a contingency.

Agreed that the worst they can say is no, which wouldn't otherwise change anything for you at this point. Just have your ducks in a row with support for your best chance back into the program.

Status
Not open for further replies.