Can I apply for medical school without recommend letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cgzca

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I can send MCAT and transcript to AMCAS, but currently I can not find proper recommend writer for me. Can I apply for medical school without such stupid letters? Anybody try that before?

Members don't see this ad.

i dont think you can, you have to find recommendation writers fast

I can send MCAT and transcript to AMCAS, but currently I can not find proper recommend writer for me. Can I apply for medical school without such stupid letters? Anybody try that before?

No. You must provide the appropriate number of LORs the school requests or your application cannot become complete.

Members don't see this ad :)
No you can't. Some schools might bend on the number of type of letters in special circumstances, but I don't know of any that will accept no LORs.

Nope. Don't need the letters for AMCAS but you will never be complete at any US Med school without letters of recommendation. And if you're not complete they won't look at your application.

LORs are actually pretty useful - they let the school see what others think of your personality before they waste your and their time bringing you in for interview.

Can I apply to medical school without any arms? (Can still be a radiologist right?)

newsflash: its not a stupid letter... in fact, if you do it correctly, your LOR's can help you out a lot... in fact, having talked briefly with an interviewer about my letters (which i knew to be fairly strong), it was clear they helped me stand out a lot...

so they arent dumb, you are just bitter because you dont stand out enough or havent/cant make the effort to get to know your teachers...

and to actually answer the question, yeah, you wont get away with applying without LOR's... at least get some crappy ones or something

They suck and most of the time they are just a formality. Just go and ask any 3 profs, hopefully some that you sucked up to before, or at least sit down and tell them about your plans. Most profs are really receptive and will write you one no problem. They might be generic, and not really help you at all, but you will have them. You need 3, by the way.

Of course you can! You just won't get in anywhere.

Troll?

Just to be clear, you apply to AMCAS withouth LORs

But once you get the secondaries, you need them. If you are having trouble getting LOR's, you do have a little more time to find them.

American medical schools require letters of recommendation. Schools will not consider your file complete until you send the required number/types of recommendation letters, and so your file will just gather dust in some corner and never be read (i.e. automatic rejection).

Stewart University School of Medicine does not require letters of recommendation. Also I think that there is a med school in Eastern Europe or Southeast Asia that does not require LOR or MCAT. Good luck. Also, you should only apply for residencies that don't require letters of recommendation.

Just having a LOR (generic) will not help. Committees can tell when a LOR writer has just fished out an old LOR, and changed names on it to match the applicant. If your letter writer truly supports your application, places you in high regard from previous professional interactions, and has great things to say about you, trust me, that letter will sound far far different from a standard 'I-know-this-student-from-my-class-of-150-students-and-he-got-an-A' letter. Also, the length of time and depth of interaction matters. In fact, the worst thing you can do is to just go up to a professor/anyone you had a class with a few semesters back and ask for a letter. This could do more damage than good. It's best if you know for sure that someone will write you a solid letter beforehand. In this regard, it won't hurt (and is not wrong) to ask someone outright if they think they can write a positive letter for you. Most will be honest.

Choose carefully, and when you decided to go down the pre-med track, you should have started to work on building long-term professional relationships. It's never too late, you can always do intensive summer research, etc and build on it.

No harm intended...but it's called "recommendation letters" or "letters of recommendation". And it's "recommendation writer" (not "recommend writer")

Some undergraduate institutions have pre-medical/pre-professional committees that interview students for a committee LOR. These carry tremendous weight. Also, it is open information as to which professors/staff are on the committee (pre-med advisers almost always are on such committees). Pay extra attention to your interactions with these Gods! Try and work with them on something, anything. Research with one or two of them, take their classes (as biology/chemistry electives), and let them know you're pre-med and let them experience your hard work. Thus, it will be a lot easier for them to write positively about you a few years down the line after your committee interview, than if the interview happens to be the first time they ever saw you. Through all this, just be yourself, be the kind of student/worker you'd want to study/work under you!

Hope this helps.

Oh and I think Searun said it right too! :laugh:

Sure, be ready to cough up the dough and not attain a single interview. :laugh:

:lol: Sure you can, buddy. You can do whatever you like! You can even apply to be an astronaut, but I think your chances of getting that are about the same as getting into med school with no LORs.