Can i apply for pharmacy graduate intern before graduation Or wait till I get my license

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kathy2020

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I’m in my last year of pharmacy school and I’m working in Walgreens as Phramcy inter for almost 1 year. I started my APPE rotation last may 2020 and everything was good until July something happened and I had an emergency surgery, because of that I couldn’t go to my APPE block at that time. Now I’m behind my classmates and I have to make up this rotation (I missed 1 APPE rotation) in June or July then I will receive my diploma in September 2021. I need your advice what I should due now? Should I start applying for graduate intern? Or I have to wait until I get my license . anyone have any tips or advice on what i should do next?

Members don't see this ad.

You don’t apply for graduate intern. You apply for a job as an intern. After you graduate you just become a graduate intern. Do you have your intern license/permit/whatever?

You don’t apply for graduate intern. You apply for a job as an intern. After you graduate you just become a graduate intern. Do you have your intern license/permit/whatever?
I am working as pharmacy intern at Walgreens. Answering ur question no I don’t have intern license

Members don't see this ad :)
I am working as pharmacy intern at Walgreens. Answering ur question no I don’t have intern license
You should probably get the appropriate license to work as an intern for your state.

I was under the impression that every pharmacy school helps register all their students with an intern license when they start their program. What program is this if you dont mind me asking?

Reactions: 1 user
I was under the impression that every pharmacy school helps register all their students with an intern license when they start their program. What program is this if you dont mind me asking?
I’m in New Jersey. There is no official intern license. Therefore you don’t have to worry about getting one. My school FDU school of pharmacy

Traditionally, the chains hire their new grad pharmacists in the fall before graduation. I'm not sure how Covid has affected this however.

Your best option is to apply as a pharmacist, or someone who expects to be licensed within few months. When they see that you are not fully licensed, they would be very happy to send you out to do a great number of Covid vaccinations. Companies looooove that type of thing. Every clinic I participate in, there is at least one or two interns. Grad intern is even better. If I were you, I would apply for any job that has Covid in the description. Truth be told, for the next few months, those are the only jobs to be had. (I am not being sarcastic). It is a question of whether or not your want to work in this environment.

Your best option is to apply as a pharmacist, or someone who expects to be licensed within few months. When they see that you are not fully licensed, they would be very happy to send you out to do a great number of Covid vaccinations. Companies looooove that type of thing. Every clinic I participate in, there is at least one or two interns. Grad intern is even better. If I were you, I would apply for any job that has Covid in the description. Truth be told, for the next few months, those are the only jobs to be had. (I am not being sarcastic). It is a question of whether or not your want to work in this environment.
Thank you .. yes I will that

Traditionally, the chains hire their new grad pharmacists in the fall before graduation. I'm not sure how Covid has affected this however.
Thank you for ur feedback
Can I still apply even in my case as I mentioned above because I will finish my APPE rotations in September 2021 not in may then I will take my NAPLEX

If you plan to stay with Walgreens, I suggest contacting your district manager to let them know your graduation date is in September. There's typically a set number of new grads they plan to hire, and the DM should tell you the ideal timing. You'll still need to apply for the "Pharmacy Intern Grad" position even if you're already an employee. If you can't find the listing for your store/district, contact the DM to open the position on the applicant tracking system.