Timemachine

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Status
I am currently working at a university and got very strong recommendation letters from big guys at this school. And for family reasons, I do not want to move to other place. So is it OK to just apply one school? Thanks for advice!

lilnoelle

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2006
crazyland
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Apply EDP to your school of choice and if you don't get in, apply to more schools.

OP
T

Timemachine

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Status
Thanks, but we do not have EDP.

noelleruckman said:
Apply EDP to your school of choice and if you don't get in, apply to more schools.

About the Ads

relentless11

Going broke and loving it
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2001
Visit site
Status
Pre-Medical
Timemachine said:
I am currently working at a university and got very strong recommendation letters from big guys at this school. And for family reasons, I do not want to move to other place. So is it OK to just apply one school? Thanks for advice!
I agree with with gapotts2003, don't short change yourself. If you don't want to move, then either resolve your family issues, wait until they are resolved, or apply to more schools. I think most of us have a school we want to go to, and if it were possible to guarantee admissions, we wouldn't have to apply to so many schools. However this isn't realistic. Applying to med school is a crapshoot, so many variables are involved to allow for any reliable prediction of success.

Letters of recs from "big guys" mean nothing. GOOD letter of recs do. You'd be surprised at how many "big guys" are out there at a university and how easy it is to get a LOR from them. Connections with the "big guys" comes with time, but admission to med school is by COMMITEE, not neccessarily based on who you know. Over the ages, I've known people to have received LORs from our deans (including med school), and from nationally known MDs over at NIH. But even these people didn't get into their first choice med school. Ultimately, they did get into some med school, but it was at another school. Even with the people I know, I have been encouraged to apply to more than one school despite my own personal reasons. It sucks but ultimately it is YOUR life, and YOUR decision on how much medicine is worth to you.

So yea, its not impossible to get into a school if you only apply to ONE school, but your chances of becoming a physician are greater if you apply to more than one. There are MANY MANY exceptional applicants out there, and VERY VERY little space to admit people. So you decide. Good luck!

About the Ads