Can I apply this year and defer if accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marvaments

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would wait to apply, besides, the job experience may boost your app. Just make sure to keep up some after work activities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Defering is difficult without a VERY good reason. Work usually does not count.

I doubt this would be approved for a deferral. Most schools would probably wonder why you applied this year knowing that you had this commitment. Feel free to press your luck though.

X2. Why would you apply if you are obligated to work for a year. It's like applying while you are obligated to the Active Duty military for another year. There's no way you can go, so don't apply. Your situation is not why they allow deferrals.

My concern is that it would be difficult to keep up with activities related to medicine when I'm working a full-time job and just keeping up the GPA throughout my senior year...

It's a much better excuse to have a job during your senior year which prevents you from doing medical-related activities than it is to have a job which results in deferring your acceptance.

I would CALL any schools that you want to ask about deferring. I am considering doing the same thing, applying and then asking for a deferral once accepted. I was advised not to have your name tied with anything talking about deferrals until you are accepted. I think that your reason would be good enough for most schools to defer, but asking your top schools would probably be best.

You obviously need to apply at the beginning of your gap year.

I would CALL any schools that you want to ask about deferring. I am considering doing the same thing, applying and then asking for a deferral once accepted. I was advised not to have your name tied with anything talking about deferrals until you are accepted. I think that your reason would be good enough for most schools to defer, but asking your top schools would probably be best.

No.

Yeah. Schools generally don't like students to defer unless they overaccept; it's not like college, where no one cares if you do. Again, it depends on the schools' policies and where you get in, making it a crapshoot for you. Applying at the beginning of your gap year makes sense. Otherwise good luck trying to get a deferral you will be desperate for.