Quantcast

Can I apply to Pharmacy Programs with Bachelors in Medical Lab Science?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

G00243577

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hi, I'm sorry if this comes across as a silly/dumb question, but my parents have never went to college and I don't really have friends to ask about this type of stuff, so I'm here for guidance.

My current plan is to get an Associates Degree in Medical Lab Science at my local community college, then transfer to get a bachelors degree in MLS at a state college and then apply for a Pharmacy Program.

Is there any flaws to my plan? Can someone give me guidance on what to do? I've spent hours searching for answers on Google, but I'm either terrible at searching or I can't seem to find an answer I'm happy with.

Any information given will be greatly appreciated; thank you for taking the time to read.

Trishna28

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Whatever major you decide to pick, just make sure you take all the pre-requisite courses needed by pharmacy school. The major does not matter but your grades in pre-reqs do. For instance, I already have a BS and MS but I still enrolled in a community college this spring to take Statistics and Public Speaking because I had never taken those two classes while in college but pretty much all pharmacy schools require those two. Also, Sometimes there might be differences in pre-reqs each school might require. For instance, some schools want you to take Psychology as one of your social/behavioral science pre-req requirement but others don't care and you could take Sociology or Anthropology to fulfill that particular requirement. Just make sure you are aware of the pre-req list of your desired schools, do well in them and you should be good to go.

Also from what I have seen, pharmacy schools don't require you to have a Bachelor's. As long as you have taken all the pre-reqs and done well in them of course, you can apply and get in without a degree.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: 2 users

AstraZ

prn
Reaction score
Whatever major you decide to pick, just make sure you take all the pre-requisite courses needed by pharmacy school. The major does not matter but your grades in pre-reqs do. For instance, I already have a BS and MS but I still enrolled in a community college this spring to take Statistics and Public Speaking because I had never taken those two classes while in college but pretty much all pharmacy schools require those two. Also, Sometimes there might be differences in pre-reqs each school might require. For instance, some schools want you to take Psychology as one of your social/behavioral science pre-req requirement but others don't care and you could take Sociology or Anthropology to fulfill that particular requirement. Just make sure you are aware of the pre-req list of your desired schools, do well in them and you should be good to go.

Also from what I have seen, pharmacy schools don't require you to have a Bachelor's. As long as you have taken all the pre-reqs and done well in them of course, you can apply and get in without a degree.

Hope that helps.

I'll second that advice, but would like to add that some schools prefer a Bachelor's and other schools may use that as a "tie breaker" if two candidates are neck and neck but one has a Bachelor's and the other doesn't. It's really a personal decision, but check out the websites of the school's you're interested in to get a better idea.

Reactions: 1 users

KyleV

Reaction score
I'm also a Medical Technologist that plans on applying to pharmacy school. Your degree doesn't matter, just take the pharmacy school pre-reqs, which will also be the vast majority of your medical lab science pre-reqs and apply. Just out of curiosity why are you majoring in such a difficult degree if you don't plan on using it? You could just major in biology or something. I'm finishing this degree first to work while I complete my pharmacy pre-reqs as a post-bacc.

Reactions: 1 user