Can I apply to the dental school with chemistry degree?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by glowz, Jul 27, 2006.

1. glowz

glowz Junior Member

Pre-Dental
    I don't see anyone here in chemistry..
    Most of the people are in biology.
    Is biology easier than chemistry?

I am just really worried :(

I heard that chemistry is so hard.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. mahya

mahya Deeply Motivated Dreamer

Dental Student
    I personally do not think it is a problem if you have all the pre-reqs. My major was biomedical engineering and I know few people with computer science majors that applied and got in. It all depends on your DAT/GPA + pre-reqs + Personal statement.

4. DMD to Be

DMD to Be not luffin' this weather.

Pre-Dental
    Major in the subject you enjoy most. Dental schools don't really care what your major is, just as long as you complete their pre-reqs and do well in them. Picking the subject you like best just makes school that much easier. In my opinion, yes - biology is easier than chemistry generally speaking. Besides enjoying it, I am in biology b/c I feel it gives me a better background for dental school. Others may disagree...and everyone has his/her own opinion.

5. NDdental

NDdental Junior Member

Pre-Dental
    I'm a chemistry major, and I believe it hasn't hurt me one bit. The only advantage to a biology major is that you take all the extra classes which may help you on the biology section of the DAT. You can take those while working on a chemistry degree though.

Pick the major that interests you the most. You will put more into it and have a better gpa.

6. dexadental

dexadental 1K Member

Dental Student
    I got a degree in chemistry, well biochemistry, but at UF the biochemistry degree is essentially the same as the chemistry degree but you are allowed more biology electives...still have to take all the physical chem though. I think a degree in chemistry seperates you from the mass of bio majors out there. Yeah a chem major can get hard, especially in your senior year when you are working your tail off trying to pass pchem and BIOPHYSICAL LAB, which I hope to God I never step foot in again. I must have written 30 page lab reports each week for that class, the days that lab reports were due, everyone looked like walking zombies. A chem major is demanding, but if you think you can do it, challenge yourself and go for it.

7. aggie-master

aggie-master Scrub

Dentist
    I would try to pick a major that you could live with if you do not ever get into dental school. While doing that, think about one that is going to have lots of free electives or one that requires most of the prereqs for graduation. It sucks to get a 128 hour degree and still need 36 hours of prereqs like I did.

8. starflower

starflower Member

Pre-Medical
    I know lots of pre-dents who major in chem or biochem. Honestly, one of these majors would probably look better than bio because they're more unusual and more difficult. However, if your gpa will be lower with chem, just major in bio. Choose a major where you will be able to have a high gpa.

9. polarnut

polarnut Senior Member

here's the golden advice. major in baking or psychology. get the 4.0 gpa. end of deal. done. finito.

10. beannaithe

beannaithe Bionerd

Dentist
    Major in something you enjoy and bust your butt to get a good GPA. I've seen some people at schools who majored in Spanish or English or Chemistry or Linguistics. Just do something that you'll be happy with if you don't get into dental school.

I majored in bio because I liked it and because i was scared to death of P-Chem. But if chemistry is your thing, then go for it. Just kick butt in your classes. :thumbup:

11. glowz

glowz Junior Member

Pre-Dental
    I am going to change my major to biology.

Thanks~!

12. dexadental

dexadental 1K Member

Dental Student
    Good idea, there is absolutely no reason to learn all that silly pchem.

13. pmoney

pmoney Senior Member

Change it to soemthing you are interested in and can get a good GPA. Psych, Geology, etc are all options that are more sciencey than English or something like that. But, if you are good in English, by all means take it, get a good GPA, nail your pre-reqs and the DAT and you are better off than being a <3.0 Chem major.

14. titan305

titan305 Junior Member

I would major in Physical Education and get a 4.0. Then study for the DAT. This is what I would have done if I could go back and redo everything. But I didn't know I wanted to be a dentist back in 1990 :eek: In fact, I didn't want to be anything for another 3 years after that! :D