Can I apply with this GPA? Or should I take more science postbacc coursez

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roche112

Reaction score
Looking for some feedback!!

My cumulative GPA is 3.570, AMCAS sGPA 3.335 and AACOMAS sGPA 3.315. It’s not a consistently upward trend (or downward) during undergraduate.

Postbacc GPA 3.891 (11 credits - all science).

I’m planning on applying next cycle (both MD and DO).

Should I try to take an additional class or two to try to boost my sGPA a tiny bit more (Assuming I took 2 classes and got As in both, I could get a 3.402 sGPA for AMCAS and 3.391 for AACOMAS). Would this be enough of a difference?

Is this high enough to apply assuming the rest of my application is solid?? If I get a high enough MCAT score could this help a bit to make up for this?

9BF5EF18-3393-4C1C-801A-8DD2B22B1696.jpeg
9BF5EF18-3393-4C1C-801A-8DD2B22B1696.jpeg

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest taking another 20 credits and aceing them (3.7+ GPA) for MD; otherwise, you're fine for DO
Hmm, I wonder about the cost efficiency of this. Given their credits and GPA, another 20 credits at a 4.0 only bumps them up to a 3.62 cGPA. It could boost their sGPA more significantly but I'm not sure how much that would factor into improving admission chances for MD schools. Just going purely based off admissions percentiles I'd think that getting a killer MCAT would be a better statistical boost.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, I wonder about the cost efficiency of this. Given their credits and GPA, another 20 credits at a 4.0 only bumps them up to a 3.62 cGPA. It could boost their sGPA more significantly but I'm not sure how much that would factor into improving admission chances for MD schools. Just going purely based off admissions percentiles I'd think that getting a killer MCAT would be a better statistical boost.
The OP's cGPA isn't the issue, it's the sGPA. It's NOT about raising the GPAs, but maintaining that SR year excellence and showing reinvention.

The last two years will be weighted more by many schools.

Reactions: 1 user